MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: what did you get from using mybb software and mybb community forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ok let me explain more my little question

whene I found MyBB site (using google)
I was just looking around for a free forum software

my experience in this time was
70% using any internet service and sites and searching on the web, findind solutions for my own problems and things I need.
20% XHTML
5% php
0% CSS2

after using MyBB Community forum, and chating and exchanging my experience with MyBB members
my experience started growing up, and now
90% using the internet service, etc
60% or more XHTML
40% php (and get leaning day after day from editing the plugins, try to understanding the source codes, etc)
60% or more using CSS2

and the best of this all I just knew some good ppl I loved from my country.
my Dear, Maatty and My favior friend Mamoun, and alot of other ppl not from my country, one of them is rcpalace
all the credits for this things I have learned goes to MyBB Community forum..

so now you all understand what I meant in my question
what about you guys?
pepotiger Wrote:ok let me explain more my little question

whene I found MyBB site (using google)
I was just looking around for a free forum software

my experience in this time was
70% using any internet service and sites and searching on the web, findind solutions for my own problems and things I need
20% XHTML
5% php
0% CSS2

after using MyBB Community forum
my experience started growing up now
90% using the internet service, etc
60% or more XHTML
40% php (and get leaning day after day from editing the plugins, try to understanding the source codes, etc)
60% or more using CSS2

all the credits for this things I have learned goes to MyBB Community forum..

so now you all understand what I meant in my question
what about you guys?

We transitioned the forum (listed in my signature) from vBulletin, which is not always easy (text-encoding issues on their end), but we got it all straightened out.

The major benefits to us include:

1. Loads twice as fast and uses very little memory and MySQL resources. Even though we have a dedicated server for our sites, this is still a huge benefit.

2. It's more user-friendly, meaning that visitors to our site, most of whom are not power users, can get on with the business of posting and reading without the hassles.

3. We were able to add free mods for SEO optimization and site maps that helped improve our traffic. Getting that stuff with vBulletin is costly -- some of it more expensive than the cost of the software itself.

4. And did I say vBulletin's support (remember it's a commercial product) is absolutely pathetic and I'll do what I can to show people there are better ways to run a forum?

I only wish the MyBB folk would design a simple package to allow Web hosts to offer it, rather than just phpBB (which is also pathetic, based on personal experience).
Gene Steinberg Wrote:and I'll do what I can to show people there are better ways to run a forum
the same thing I'm doing in my forum for arabic ppl to switch to using mybb.
Gene Steinberg Wrote:I only wish the MyBB folk would design a simple package to allow Web hosts to offer it, rather than just phpBB (which is also pathetic, based on personal experience).

I totaly agree with this one, I hope to see this pack comes out as soon as posible

thanks for your comments.
pepotiger Wrote:
Gene Steinberg Wrote:and I'll do what I can to show people there are better ways to run a forum
the same thing I'm doing in my forum for arabic ppl to switch to using mybb.
Gene Steinberg Wrote:I only wish the MyBB folk would design a simple package to allow Web hosts to offer it, rather than just phpBB (which is also pathetic, based on personal experience).

I totaly agree with this one, I hope to see this pack comes out as soon as posible

thanks for your comments.

My Web host, HostICan, would be happy to do something. I work closely with them (they even appear on my tech radio show and their operations guy is my good buddy), and some movement on the part of the leadership here would probably be welcomed.
Fantastico distributes auto installation packages and makes them and maintains them their selves. I contacted them a year ago about it and their response was along the lines of wait for 3.0 when there will be plugins. It is still yet to be released.
Such an interesting question. Thanks pepotiger for mentioning me. You might have noticed that I spend a lot of time in this forum: I guess mainly because it is a friendly community where people do their best to offer help.

I cannot let this opportunity pass without mentioning Zaher1988: I miss his presence a lot.

Regards
Tikitiki Wrote:Fantastico distributes auto installation packages and makes them and maintains them their selves. I contacted them a year ago about it and their response was along the lines of wait for 3.0 when there will be plugins. It is still yet to be released.

Too bad. Of course Fantastico is the reason phpBB is on so many sites.

Hopefully they'll come around.
What have I gained from using MyBB?

Well, I've learned so much through the people involved over the years, I'm a much better web programmer now then I was before I joined. Before I joined I only knew how to use PHP Conditionals, and a few PHP functions. I also only knew how to use MySQL SELECT queries.

Now I am able to code entire PHP based programs using PHP and MySQL.

I've also gained many friends while I am here, and I even got to be part of the team. Big Grin
I had never heard of MyBB until I heard Gene mention it on another forum we both frequent.

Anyway I did a search of MyBB and found this site, I had a look at the forum and liked what I saw so I decided to download the software and set up a test forum.

I was very impressed with how the forum ran and so decided to set about converting my phpBB forums over to MyBB, it was a painless transition for the most part with just one minor problem that I was able to sort out with out to much effort.

I have had just a few support questions since I started using MyBB and they have usually been answered very quickly by the support team.

All in all MyBB is a very easy to use, feature rich forum software.