MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Laptop Repair - Takes the biscuit!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Grrr! My laptops keyboard started messing up about mid-july and sent it off for repair at the beginning of September (after giving it time to see if it sorted itself out and also after virus/spyware/malware/worm/trojan scanning the lights out of it!!) and it's now what, the 8th October! Still no laptop!! They have "supposedly" lost it - or cannot seem to find where it's gone. Lost in my words. What a bag of poop. So I am, at the moment lugged with a desktop PC with a massive amount of RAM *cough* yeah right *cough* (256MB) - barely runs Firefox and Notepad at the same time. It crashes when I open a picture up or use Photoshop.

I am having serious withdrawal symptoms from it... I want it back!! :-(

*cries*

Anyone else had any PC/Laptop repair events where it just took more than the biscuit?
Dale Hay Wrote:Anyone else had any PC/Laptop repair events where it just took more than the biscuit?

That’s really sad. It just reminds me of my experience which really “took the biscuit” a few years ago. I had finished editing 40 research papers which were submitted to me for publication in the Proceedings of an international symposium held in my university. The editing job took almost a year and the book was now ready for printing, and hence publication. But out of the blue, my slave hard disk (which included all my docs and backups) stopped to breathe. All subsequent attempts to repair it failed. Imagine the loss of a dear year of my life and the critical situation I was in––of having to put off the publication for another 3 months (which had meant working day and night to redo all the editing)!
Of course I had learnt a good lesson: to keep as many backups as possible of such critical data, on different hard disks and DVDs, and sometimes on my own server.

Whenever I encounter such catastrophes, I remember those lines, written by D.H. Lawrence, in his letter “To Lady Cynthia”

My dear Lady Cynthia,

“It seems as if we were all going to be dragged in to the danse macabre. One can only grin, and be fatalistic.”…
…..
“It is very sad, but one isn't sad any more. It is done now, and no use crying over spilt milk.” …
……
“It isn't a question of ‘dancing whilst Rome burns’…It is a question of bobbing about gaily in chaos. 'Carpe diem' is the motto now: pure gay fatalism.”

“What a funny life!”…
----------------------------

Regards
Heh, yeah, once you have a hard drive fail you never let yourself lose that data again Toungue

My main PC has the hard drive with the OS installed, it then has a second internal hard drive just for backups; on top of that I have an external hard drive just for backups. Also, just to be sure when it's really important like University work, I have it backed up on my pen drive, laptop and my home drive at Uni too Big Grin
I have 2 broken old laptops in the garage...I just toss them aside and get a new one.
I almost lost my entire data, It seemed like a dust particle got in the way of the spindle and caused heavy magnetic damage. Oh well, those where the days.
* Imad Jomaa says( "I managed to make a back-up before the entire thing almost failed.)
Since I maintain my own computer (I got it upgraded and working from an old school computer that didn't work anymore) I feel I have to do all repairs.

While I was gone I had a major failure in my Motherboard (my fault, as usual Toungue), it took months to fix but, as you can see, I got it fixed, and running even better then before! Big Grin

Soon I'll have a new case for it so I can get better cooling for the entire system. Big Grin
Oh thats not good.

well me i do not send my computer no were for fixing i get a tech to come out to my home and fix my computers so i can see what they are doing.
I have to give you credit for at least *trying* to run Photoshop on a 256Mb machine...
DrPoodle Wrote:I have to give you credit for at least *trying* to run Photoshop on a 256Mb machine...

lol ya me to.

Well I have a file server that all my computers backup all there info to every night.... Actually reading this thread reminded me to get a new External HD for back up Toungue
MrDoom Wrote:Heh, yeah, once you have a hard drive fail you never let yourself lose that data again Toungue
The thing is though, on December 1st last year I left my laptop on charge over night and a freak lightning storm caused a powr surge, which fried my harddrive. I was gutted!! :-(
crsoft Wrote:well me i do not send my computer no were for fixing i get a tech to come out to my home and fix my computers so i can see what they are doing.
They must cost a lot of money though?
DrPoodle Wrote:I have to give you credit for at least *trying* to run Photoshop on a 256Mb machine...
CS3 loads quicker than CS2.. it's mad! But CS2 just about works fine. I might try CS3.