MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Changing mysql charset
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My forum was installed on a latin1 default charset mysql database, then used the merge system from you guys and well bad characters started to show up. I know this is normal.

Because of lack of time, and the forum was needed to be running at that moment, we let the problem as it was, now the forum has changed a lot, lot of tweaks and posts, and sql backups.

So, saved the sql file as utf-8 because i thought the contents would be now in unicode (at least new posts, i know the old ones were already corrupt and the characters would need to be fixed manually), but... it didn't work, all the tables are back to latin-1.

Do you know a way to change everything to unicode/utf-8 instead of going from each table and column?

Thanks.
Step One: (please check the Character Set in your Admin Cp -> Language Packs -> Manage -> Installed Language Packs -> Options (the one on the right) -> GO) and tell me what is in there.

Regards
Hmm, UTF-8 for English and iso-8859-1 for Español
yottabytewizard Wrote:Hmm, UTF-8 for English and iso-8859-1 for Español

So, why don't you set the UTF-8 also for Español...but I guess some Spanish characters will not display correctly using UTF-8...Anyway, try...you can always revert back..

Do you also have access to phpmyadmin?
Yes I do, but the only option that I found there is to change the default charset for new tables/databases. And for existing ones, I couldn't find any other way than changing tables and columns manually.

Also I have MySQL Admin on my computer with access to the DB of the server, but same thing, no other option.
yottabytewizard Wrote:Yes I do, but the only option that I found there is to change the default charset for new tables/databases. And for existing ones, I couldn't find any other way than changing tables and columns manually.

Also I have MySQL Admin on my computer with access to the DB of the server, but same thing, no other option.

I suggest you backup you database first and then run this query:

ALTER DATABASE `dabase_name` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin;
phpmyadmin reports it was run succesfully, but all the tables still are on 'latin1_swedish_ci' =/

Btw, thanks for all your help Big Grin
yottabytewizard Wrote:phpmyadmin reports it was run succesfully, but all the tables still are on 'latin1_swedish_ci' =/

Btw, thanks for all your help Big Grin

Could you please, provide me with a link to a page in your forum which has characters that do not display correctly?
yottabytewizard Wrote:http://www.teamlago.net/foro

I can see no problem there with the iso-8859-1 character encoding view in my browser. Could you change the character encoding in your browser and let me know if you still see anything abnormal?

Edit: What is the default language of your forum?
Pages: 1 2