MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Put MyBB and webserver onto CD (for Windows and Mac!)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I'm asked to prepare a "snapshot" of one client's existing site that is based on MyBB. Those snapshots have to be put onto CDROMs (or DVDs or usb keys, it's to be decided) so that web server and MyBB start directly off that cheap media. Webserver with MyBB and DB server have to start off CD(DVD)
automatically once CDROM is inserted into computer on Windows and MacOS X.
It seems that this special web server can be used for such task:
webserver for cdrom
Have anybody done something like that with MyBB and CDROMs?
I've never heard of anyone doing this before, although I have heard of webservers on CD before, none with MyBB pre-installed as well.
Apparently it's like a portable xampp. It may work, but there's no guarantee it will nor are we obligated to provide any sort of support for this seeing as we don't officially support it.
MyBB will not work correctly.

MyBB executes at least one write to the database per page request - this won't be possible with the files on a CD because the CD cannot be written to like a hard disk.

You'd need to use a portable flash/hard drive instead.
Chris Boulton Wrote:MyBB will not work correctly.

MyBB executes at least one write to the database per page request - this won't be possible with the files on a CD because the CD cannot be written to like a hard disk.

You'd need to use a portable flash/hard drive instead.

Hi,

Their product does allow database data to be copied to HDD first time webserver is run from CD/DVD. So no problem with that..

Their product looks good (and demo works good), but it's rather expensive.. Though I didn't find any other options..