MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Fatal Errors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Those Windows fatal errors put me off sometimes. They never really explain what on earth had happened to cause such errors, and if you press the details button, you get something like this:

[Image: error.jpg]

Big deal! On the other hand, the options Windows offers to solve a conflict are rather confusing. Look at this:

[Image: cannotdelete.jpg]

when you are sure that you have at least 1 gb of free disk space! Worst of all when you get this window:

[Image: proceed.jpg]

What would you choose?

Compared to Windows, MySql fatal errors make sense, though not all the time for an average user. But for God sake, why are they called "fatal" errors? Is it because they're matters of life and death to the software itself?

Have you ever encountered such inexplicable fatal errors?
The first error seems to have dumped the previous X number of function calls from the app, useful if you are the programmer and want to know what went wrong.

They are fatal because the application is unable to continue to run after they happened.
They should have had more down to earth messages for people who aren't C++ Programmers.
Well that was in the advanced details section.
Well, that is 98/95 after all it looks like? Things have changed and in XP it reports it to microsoft and in Vista it'll report it to microsoft and it has a "problem" center to help you fix the problem.
Like reporting those errors to Microsoft every gets anything done unless it's a MS product you are reporting.

The problem centre just usually gives up on me.
I don't think windows should have the reporting thing for none MS apps.
MrDoom Wrote:They are fatal because the application is unable to continue to run after they happened.
But the word "fatal" makes me feel that I have committed a sin.Big Grin I don't know, I always use this word when it comes to describing a tragic even, such as : "The first human and fatal error Othello makes is trusting the evil Iago." I guess there is also something cultural about the use of it. The Arabic equivalent of this word "ma'ssiri" would only be used when referring to an action that will decide the future of an individual or a nation, but definitely not an application.

Thanks for sharing this thread, MrDoom.

Tikitiki Wrote:They should have had more down to earth messages for people who aren't C++ Programmers.

Snake Wrote:I don't think windows should have the reporting thing for none MS apps.

I agree with both Tikitiki and Snake. Moreover, I believe that MS people should have been smart enough to put simple messages that do not cause an average user to panic. It would have also been ideal if they cared to make their "End Now" take effect immediately (sometimes I have to press that button 10 times! and sometimes it just hangs up and I have to restart)--which as the link MrDoom has pointed to are "worse than failure"!Sad
Well you know if someone is said to have had a "fatal" accident then it means that they died from it, right.

Well a fatal error for an application means that it gets killed; hence it is fatal for the application.
Pages: 1 2