MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Word Filter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not sure if this is really a bug or not, it's not really a big deal for me but I thought it should be reported.

I've noticed that the Word Filter doesn't seem to work for thread titles on the portal.php page. I have a word that should be filtered out in the Subject of a thread in the "Latest Threads" box that shows up normally whereas on the main forum index it shows up with the replacement text.

Also, when posted as an Announcement I discovered some things. One, the thread title does not filter the word out here either. The biggest thing I found was that the filter does not filter everything properly it seems. I posted a string of "F" expletives for the purpose of testing the filter further on the portal page, and it will only filter every other word when it's the same word repeatedly.

I hope this is useful. o_o Like I said, it's not a big deal for me since the expletives don't bother me and it's unlikely that a situation would arise where this was a problem but it might be more important for others.

I am using forum version 1.2.9.
Browser: Firefox 2.0.0.7
MySQL: 5.0.24
PHP: 4.4.7
Example Screenshot: here
This isn't a bug. We don't filter titles. moving to suggestions
Not a bug? Even the part that only filters every other word?
jayjk84 Wrote:Not a bug? Even the part that only filters every other word?

It doesn't only filter every other word. I just tested on my 1.4 & 1.2 localhost and another online forum and they all work fine
Really. Any idea what's up with mine then? The screenshot I linked in my first post shows every other word filtering. o_o I haven't modded anything.
The word filter doesn't filter out consecutive words. This is due to how they've structured their regular expression.

For example, if "badword" filters to "goodword", entering:
Quote:badword badword badword badword
after filtering, goes to
Quote:goodword badword goodword badword

For thread titles, I personally prefer "hard filtering" them if necessary - you can remove the parser from MANY locations of MyBB if you do.
For fixing the above, the only way I can think of, is to perform the filter twice.