MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Themes not working with certain plug-ins?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Plug-ins like members online today & group legend don't work with the vB based templates/themes, why?

is there a way to fix this? i would like to have some vB-like templates on my forums, thanks.
You have to add plugin's code (for template) manually. Some plugins doesn't work in some themes...
arno Wrote:You have to add plugin's code (for template) manually. Some plugins doesn't work in some themes...

I have noted some themes that dont even work with the normal mybb features. One would think that all themes would atleast work with the core of the system. Yeah plugins is one thing but the main core features is another. Sorry but those should work. Kinda takes away from the mybb expierence to not have all the features working correctly. Plus it does mybb no good as well. There was a IPB type theme i saw not long ago that had that issue. Didnt have the collaps capability for the Board stats/who is online section.

I greatly appreciate the hard work of the themers but i do think that the core mybb features/system should fully work in all themes. JMHO

I personally dont care how good a theme looks if it doesnt operate and utilize the main mybb features correctly i'll pass it up. Looks is one thing but working correctly is another.
The VB-like themes give the most trouble for plugin authors. Many times the only way to make a plugin easy to install is to use template search and replace functions. However that's based on the default mybb template. The VB template is highly modified and that's the problem. This is not the fault of plugin authors. I suggest you do not use the VB like template especially since you don't run VB. Have little respect for Mybb. At least that's my opinion.
I agree with labrocca, why MyBB needs or tolerates "look-alike" templates of other forum software is beyond me.

It only encourages the removal of the MyBB copyright statements in the footer and the inclusion of the opposition copyrights to give the warped impression that it cost a heap of bucks.

Sad really, as MyBB should be treated with the respect that it deserves. The layout of MyBB templates can be radically changed without the sacrifice of plug-ins not working.

Or the template author could offer modified plug-ins, and / or add the hooks manually (with permission from the plug-in author), but that appears in most cases to be a minor detail.

Sad
So how do I find a theme that does work with 1.2.9? The Themes pages do not seem to provide that information.

Also if there is a way to get around the problem how does one go about it?

Thanks

Mitch
MacMitch Wrote:So how do I find a theme that does work with 1.2.9? The Themes pages do not seem to provide that information.

Also if there is a way to get around the problem how does one go about it?

Thanks

Mitch

Well I haven't had any problems with plugins and themes my self. Just try to stick away from vB look a like ones. Most themes if not all in the theme database will work great.

The problem is that the plugin just doesn't plug it self into the theme so you have to do some manually editing (And probably a bit of searching).