MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PHP...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How long does it take to learn PHP to such a ;level where you can comfortably create plugins for mybb and such? And does anyone know any tutorials that are good, or a book that they reckon is pretty good?
My guess it will take you about 6 months to perfectly control it.
It took me 8 though Toungue
Kikkerking Wrote:My guess it will take you about 6 months to perfectly control it.
It took me 8 though Toungue

Well Im still going though it since well may time but once you go though it should get easier everytime Smile
It depends on many factors, such as what programming/scripting experience you've had before, and what level of familiarity you're aiming for.

I've been programming for years before I looked at PHP. PHP uses C syntax, so I could recognize pretty much how most things worked at first sight.
An issue with PHP though, is the amount of library functions there are... Sure, it makes things very simple (and faster, through encapsulation/pre-compiled code) but it can be a pain to understand what all the functions do, when you look at a piece of PHP code.
With no programming experience it has taken me around 4 years to get to the point I am now, and I've still got much too learn.

Please note, I'm teaching myself.