MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Users "banned" inexplicably
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Version 1.2.9 (129)
I am the sole administrator, there are no moderators. Banned group is empty.

Four members who have been posting fine till today emailed me today to say they're receiving the message:
Quote:I'm sorry, but you are banned. You may not post, read threads, or access the forum. Please contact your forum administrator should you have any questions.

I have never banned anyone. I have checked their permissions and all seem fine. Two of them gave me their passwords and I could log in as them no problem from my end.

So can anyone shed light on what may be the problem and why myBB is telling them they're banned?

Thanks in advance.
That's odd. Just to check, you didn't block any IP/e-mail address lately, right?

Only thing I could of is that their IP/e-mail was blocked while blocking someone else.
Ahhh. Now you mention it yesterday I banned a load of IPs related to recent registrations (which I hadn't activated because the email addresses used were all China and Russia spam domains).

I read in other parts of this forum that the only way possible to ban IPs by range at present is to enter the first part of the IP, eg I wanted to ban the range 75.2.1.1 - 75.2.63.255 so I entered 75.2, 75.3, 75.4 and so on right up to 75.63 as instructed (yeah, it took a while).

BUT I know for sure that one of my valid users having problems is at 195.152.75.254

Maybe his IP was banned as a side-effect, since 75.2 is a fragment of that?

If so, myBB badly needs the facility to be able to ban IP ranges in the proper format, and I'll be heading off to the wishlist section!
We just ban the first three numbers, not the first two.
IP banning = dangerous and useless

Quote:Maybe his IP was banned as a side-effect, since 75.2 is a fragment of that?

That's exactly it. I believe the IP match is based on preg_match() or preg_quote().
IP banning = very useful when properly implemented, dangerous when not.

Feature request submitted.
labrocca Wrote:That's exactly it. I believe the IP match is based on preg_match() or preg_quote().

This isn't well documented, but MyBB 1.2.x uses strpos to check for IP bans, so if you only enter in 75.2 it will ban any IP which contains 75.2 such as:

MyBB 1.4.x's IP banning is revised to allow proper wildcard usage.
Dennis if this is the case it would be better to ban IP's in C-Panel or with .htaccess instead of in MyBB ACP.

When is this going to be corrected ??
DennisTT Wrote:MyBB 1.4.x's IP banning is revised to allow proper wildcard usage.

v1.4.x should be out by the end of the year, or early next year, IIRC.
AVC Wrote:Dennis if this is the case it would be better to ban IP's in C-Panel or with .htaccess instead of in MyBB ACP.

You can use whatever you prefer. MyBB's IP bans still work if you want to ban a single IP or range from

a.b.c.0 to a.b.c.255

by entering in a.b.c. in the IP banning box. It just doesn't handle if you want more than one wildcard section.