MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Using MyBB in a website
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am looking into different open source forum software packages and found MyBB. I have a website that will have thousands of groups and each group should have its own forum. For example, the group page will be processed by my own website architecture and then on the right side of the group page will be a message board module.

Also, I'll have articles on the site and want each article to be able to have comments on them (maybe a topic of a forum).

The site already has its own user registration.

Is this a good software package to use for accomplishing the above tasks? Can it easily be integrated into an existing website, rather than having a standalone forum system?

Thanks,
Shawn
I am not 100% sure what your asking, if your asking can myBB do those things and do them well? then the answer is yes!

If you mean you already have a site with those abilities and want to integrate myBB in to it, then I dont know it depends on your site.

However I have tried lots of open source forum software, phpBB, Seditio, LDU, IPB, vbulletin etc and found myBB to be the easiest to mod and work with.

Hope that helps
Techmonkey Wrote:I am not 100% sure what your asking, if your asking can myBB do those things and do them well? then the answer is yes!

If you mean you already have a site with those abilities and want to integrate myBB in to it, then I dont know it depends on your site.

However I have tried lots of open source forum software, phpBB, Seditio, LDU, IPB, vbulletin etc and found myBB to be the easiest to mod and work with.

Hope that helps

What I am looking for is to use myBB as a backend system and not the frontend. I won't be using the templates that myBB has, but instead will create my own (and yes, I know you can create mods and put in your own css to change the look, but that isn't what I am looking for). Ideally, myBB has a clean set of api's that I can call to get the data. For example, the following functions would exist:

get_forums()
create_forum()
add_user()
get_topics( $forum_id );
get_messages( $forum_id, $topic_id );
get_users_online();
etc...

So then I can use my own templating system and just make the api calls I need to get the data. Does this make sense? Does myBB have a solid / concise set of api's to retrieve the data from the backend system (mysql in this case).

Thanks,
Shawn
$db->query? lol... There's over 100,000 lines of code in MyBB and several thousand functions/classes; you need to be more specific.
It sounds like it doesn't have a clean set of api's for what i want. Think of it like having a webservice available for your product. For example flickr has an excellent set of webservices to get/post any type of data: http://www.flickr.com/services/api/

So, if when I installed MyBB it produced a great set of webservice api's onto my webserver, I could use those. But better yet, if they were just function calls (since I have the software installed on my machine). In flickr's case, I can't just make function calls, cause all the software lives on flickr.com. In MyBB's case, it will live on my server.

The idea of having MyBB software also have a set of webservice api's built automatically when the developer installs it, would actually be a cool idea for you guys. I looked at a lot of message board software packages and I don't think any of them have it. If you did build something like this, then having a great set of webservices would allow outside people to build apps on top of their forums. For example, I could build a Yahoo! Widget that hits a set of webservices to get/post messages about forums that I care about from your site. If some other company installs MyBB and has a set of forums using your software, they too could have these webservices and then they too could have a Yahoo! Widget for their forum. Allowing outside developers build apps around people's forum could create something really cool.
No there's no API to do those things you mentioned. Right now you have to write your own queries in SQL and get the data from the database.