MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do I remove IM references?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First post here, yay. I'm abandoning my investment in time in phpBB and migrating to myBB as it appears to me MUCH more solid. Bravo to the creators. I've got a bunch of questions though as the forum I'm working on is for a private software beta where I need to lock everything down, most of the permissions on myBB take care of most of my concerns, one that is causing an issue for me right now is this one:

I can't force my users to not enter information about AIM, ICQ, MSN or Yahoo accounts.

Is there a way I can modify the php code or put in a new setting that would allow me to remove these fields from the user profile?

I've tried modifying the users.php and usercp.php files to no avail.

This is for a private beta forum where I want to force users to post to the internal forum and not use PM or IM.

I was able to do this with phpBB pretty succesffully, but only after modifying half a dozen php and tpl files. Can it be done here?
Admin CP --> Templates --> Modify / Delete --> *Choose template set and click 'Expand'* --> User Control Panel Templates --> usercp_profile
Find and remove:
<fieldset class="trow2">
<legend><strong>{$lang->additional_contact_details}</strong></legend>
<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="{$theme['tablespace']}">
<tr>
<td><span class="smalltext">{$lang->icq_number}</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><input type="text" class="textbox" name="icq" size="25" value="{$user['icq']}" /></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><span class="smalltext">{$lang->aim_screenname}</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><input type="text" class="textbox" name="aim" size="25" value="{$user['aim']}" /></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><span class="smalltext">{$lang->msn}</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><input type="text" class="textbox" name="msn" size="25" value="{$user['msn']}" /></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><span class="smalltext">{$lang->yahoo_id}</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><input type="text" class="textbox" name="yahoo" size="25" value="{$user['yahoo']}" /></td>
</tr>
</table>
</fieldset>
This will get rid of the option to set their IM details for viewing by others - however, when viewing a user's profile you will still see the area for the IM details (it will just be blank and users might wonder why it is they cannot set it in their User CP). But I believe this is what you want. Smile

Thanks for your kind words!
Enjoy.
rh1n0 Wrote:Admin CP --> Templates --> Modify / Delete --> *Choose template set and click 'Expand'* --> User Control Panel Templates --> usercp_profile
Find and remove:
<fieldset class="trow2">
<legend><strong>{$lang->additional_contact_details}</strong></legend>
<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="{$theme['tablespace']}">
<tr>
<td><span class="smalltext">{$lang->icq_number}</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><input type="text" class="textbox" name="icq" size="25" value="{$user['icq']}" /></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><span class="smalltext">{$lang->aim_screenname}</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><input type="text" class="textbox" name="aim" size="25" value="{$user['aim']}" /></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><span class="smalltext">{$lang->msn}</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><input type="text" class="textbox" name="msn" size="25" value="{$user['msn']}" /></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><span class="smalltext">{$lang->yahoo_id}</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><input type="text" class="textbox" name="yahoo" size="25" value="{$user['yahoo']}" /></td>
</tr>
</table>
</fieldset>
This will get rid of the option to set their IM details for viewing by others - however, when viewing a user's profile you will still see the area for the IM details (it will just be blank and users might wonder why it is they cannot set it in their User CP). But I believe this is what you want. Smile

Thanks for your kind words!
Enjoy.

That worked beautifully. I have some more questions but won't bog this thread down with them as they are unrelated.

I did some research and found that by opening the member_profile in Member Templates, scroll down about 2/3 of the way to find {$reptuation}, just after it is the table for the member profile. Starting with <table> and going down to the last line just before {$profilefields} removes that entire table including the hotlink to the users email address and internal PM.

My only concern is that this might do something else to the board but I believe that this was an isolated block of code that appeared to be able to be removed without any other dependencies.

Thanks!

Thanks again!