MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Fully Threaded Forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I run a family website where family members don't want to select the forum (yet, eventually I hope to ween them into a full BB). They basically want to just go to a predetermined forum and see all the posts in threaded mode. Ideally they would have an icon by the thread or post that showed if they had viewed that post.

I changed the entry point to use "portal.php" and show "new" threads from forum 2 (using announcements as a new threads list), and that is "close" to what they would want, but they would actually want the posts under the threads to also show up, ideally in linear threaded mode:

Something like the "archive" mode but with exploded out posts:

forum/archive/index.php/forum-2.html

Any suggestions? Thanks
I'm not sure I follow, but what you want would require some modifications to the portal file, to show all the posts from the threads.

MyBB has a Linear Thread mode, so you could also use that.
Ryan Ashbrook Wrote:I'm not sure I follow, but what you want would require some modifications to the portal file, to show all the posts from the threads.

MyBB has a Linear Thread mode, so you could also use that.

Yeah, I didn't mean "Linear Threaded" as much as "Chronologically Threaded", and it does have that (actually my primary reason for first selecting MyBB). Here is the thing. To see posts in "Threaded" mode as far as I can tell, you actually have to click into a thread. Ie, you get a summarized list of threads first when you click into a forum, and you get an "icon" (although this doesn't seem to always work for me) that shows if you have posts in the thread, but you actually have to click into the thread to see the posts.

So, when thinking about my family and simple, they don't want to see multiple forums (one default forum that always comes up is great, its simple and doesn't confuse the uncles and aunties).

I actually do know how I could do this in a hackish way, but there are so many components that are so close in MyBB already, I thought perhaps there was something quick that I just didn't see. If I hack on this too much I end up having to do too much support in the future to keep things together on upgrades, etc... Still, thanks for your help.