MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB file permissions (chmod stuff)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I was wondering if there was any danger to having the MyBB files all set to mode 777 on a linux box. I don't have any other users on the box itself, so I assume that only www-data ( my apache user ) is the only one accessing the MyBB files.

I was wondering if perhaps I should at least take off read permissions on some files, so that webcralwers could not just download something like my config.php, but www-data would still be able to execute. Does this seem safe?

I've already changed my admin dir and changed the table prefeix in my databases, so I think I've done all the hardening I can, but I was just a little concerned over the wide-open permissions.
Nobody can see the "content" of your files unless you specifically give them FTP access to view their source code. PHP stands for Hypertext Pre-Processor (It's an recursive acronyms) meaning that it pre-parses the code and sends it to the browser - The only thing anybody will ever see without ftp information is the html source.

And yes its safe to CHMOD 777 (and we need to for some files) otherwise we wouldn't make you
Tikitiki Wrote:PHP stands for Hypertext Pre-Processor (It's an recursive acronyms)
That would be PHP Hypertext Pre-processor. Just incase you don't know what a recursive acronym is.
MrDoom Wrote:
Tikitiki Wrote:PHP stands for Hypertext Pre-Processor (It's an recursive acronyms)
That would be PHP Hypertext Pre-processor. Just incase you don't know what a recursive acronym is.

I knew already thank you very much.
I wasn't talking to you <.< I knew you'd know that.
All right, I had a feeling that PHP behaved in that way, but I just wanted to be sure. I assumed the software would take care of that, but I just had to be sure.
MrDoom Wrote:I wasn't talking to you <.< I knew you'd know that.

Well you quoted me >.>
Only so what I was saying had context. Toungue