MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: change database?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My original problem was that I was getting 403 and 404 errors when I tried to view my forums.I received this error because I was unable to login to a certain part of my webhost account. I was told I couldn't login because my database username was too long (it is only 20 something characters, and the maximim is 53). The problem is I really want to keep my damain and the information I already have set up.

I really don't know how to explain the rest if this, so I will copy and paste a portion of a discussion I had with my webhost. I will start mid-conversation...below is his response to my questions...

Quote:Yes, I received it, looks like bad news though, looks like your username is too long, ridiculous as it sounds, I think this is what's causing the error. I will look into increasing the maximum length and get back to you.

Quote:I know what's causing it, but I'm a little reluctant to changing it until I've fully tested it to see if there are any reprocussions as it's a database restriction, not the software which creates the account.

If you create another account with a shorter username, you should be able to use this as your database until this issue has been resolved.

Does that mean that I need to change the name of the website to shorten the username? If so, I will wait. I really want that to be the name...plus I already have some of the information set up and don't want to start over again. Please let me know when you have fully tested it. Thanks for all of your help.

Quote:Shouldn't need to, if you just set up the database on the shorter named account, then use those details on your already setup account, it should be accessible.

My question to mybb: Is there a way to change database details with mybb without losing information? I have already created an account with a shorter username, but I'm not sure how to "set up the data base on the shorter named account".
zebra457 Wrote:My question to mybb: Is there a way to change database details with mybb without losing information? I have already created an account with a shorter username, but I'm not sure how to "set up the data base on the shorter named account".

The database info is in inc/config.php. You can edit that file with your new database username/password and upload it to your server.