MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Idea for the MyBB sitte
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I often lay awake at night coming up with silly inventions and ideas to make the world a better place. My idea's change from subject to subject and last night appeared to be MyBB's turn Smile

I was thinking what makes a BB software great:

1) Ease of installation - Sorted
2) Ease of customisation - Sorted
3) Wealth of mods & themes - Getting there!
4) Busy support forum with issues being solved quickly - Most of the time!

The 3rd and 4th ones are where my idea kicked in.

There are lots of people speculating about the next release of myBB and lots of people wanting the beta of things like Tikiti's database converter.

At the same time you want the boards to busy and bustling with people helping each other.

So why not offer some sort of points system or reputation mod, so that people who help others or people who create good mods and theme's can earn points for each time they do.

When they have enough points they are invited or can buy access to the beta testing of high profile mods or even the next release of MyBB.

Probably is a crap idea however I have to get these things out of my head and down on a forum somewhere or I end up going mental Smile

Keep up the excellent work!

p.s. I would not expect myself to end up on the Beta team as I am just a lowly mybb newbie
Well from what we found out when the reputation system was on, it got abused to hell.

I'm not sure that this system would fair much different, if anything the incentive would cause more abuse.
We tried the new reputation system here after 1.2 was released, and it quickly got abused, so rather than having to constantly deal with issues regarding it, we chose to disable it on these forums.
I kinda like the idea of points for solving a problem. Experts-echange.com work with this and I think it is a good idea...
Reputation is too open for interpretation...but if you have a clearly stated problem...assign some points on it based on it's severity and urgency...and the one that solves the issue to the satisfaction of the 'customer', gets the points...
As I said it probably would be a bad idea, but I thought it may work as incentive for myBB coders and users to help each other more and create a busier forum (not that it isnt busy now) Smile

I see what you mean though about it being abused and to be honest I couldn't think of a way round it either.