MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help me get my portal right
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok I will confess early on, I am not a html guru or php guru, however I do manage to get by hacking and chopping bits from your code.

As I have word the a phpbb > myBB converter tool is coming in the next week I am getting excited about making my move over.

However I have one more thing I need to get in place if I can and that is the portal.

I want to mirror the layout of my current phpBB layout (www.techmonkeys.co.uk) to the my myBB site (http://www.faelsafe.co.uk/techmonkeys.co.uk/portal.php)

Can anyone help me out here and help me get my code right ?

Thank you all so much for a great BB software Smile
Update, when I say "mirror the layout" the things I would actually like from the phpbb site are:

- the menu on the left with links to the Seperate forum sections. This can be a manually updated block, so I can customisation the link names.
- The Main welcome block. Again probably a self edittable block where I can put welcome and site info.
- Latest forum posts, block to show the lates 5 or 6 forums posts.
- Polls on front page. Would like whatever the latest forum poll was displayed on the front page.
Update!

Got my latest forum posts on the right and the stats and online users at the bottom (but they need some formatting).

How do I now get the big welcome message in above the news area, how do I get the news area and how do I get a block on the left with a custom menu in?
I would suggest a basic reading of HTML tables - it really shouldn't be too difficult.

The three columns are stored as a "3x1 table". For something at the top, you need to place the stuff above this table.
Then, obviously, to get stuff in the left, you place it in the first cell of this 3x1 table.
Thanks zinga, but I got that bit working with 3 columns. (see attachment)

What I need to know how is how do I make it so I can have the welcome block at the top like on my current phpbb site and then underneath a section that shows news that is posted in a certain section of the forum.

In the phpbb site i have a section Tech & World News and a section called "Site announcements" that is limited to admins and mods posting in. If anything is posted in those sections then it automatically puts it on the front page.

I would like to replicate that for the myBB portal.
As long as you didn't delete the announcements code, it'll appear on the portal page.

The welcome block can just be placed above the announcements.

Again, all this is, is just placing everything in column #2 of the table.