MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: read only function
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello all.
I have a little suggestion
as we all know, that we can turn the registrion off for some reason
but my suggestion is to make the whole forum, only for reading no new replays, no new topics, no new registrions
that will very helpful for some people.
as example why a function like this will be good?

say you are transfaring your domain for another host company.
1st you will shotdown the forum, and take a backup and transfare it to your new host, then you will update your domain dns
sometime the dns update may take long then 2 days
it'll be very bad to make your forum closed for two days or more
so you may use this function to make the forum online but just for read only
with a little announce your visitor will know that once the transfare complete they will be able to use the forum again, and that will safe you from losing your visitors or your trafic.
what do you think guys?
UPDATE mybb_forums SET open='no'
Smile
I know it's so simple and easy as you provide, but there is people don't know and/or don't like to use MySql Queries, see? that well make it easyer for theme
Well you can also achieve this by disabling the appropriate permissions in the usergroup permissions (can post new threads, can reply). I just don't think we need to make multiple features to do the same thing, unless the feature is requested that desperately Toungue
lol, yup you are right Toungue
I just was thinking it'll make it easyer to save evry thing with one click Big Grin
it's not so hard anyway I just was see it make things easyer thats all.
^ It does kinda get annoying that for every possible action, there has to be an additional check to see if the entire board is "locked"...

I do see an advantage with this - that is, when moving servers, it may be nice to allow people to view the forums, rather than close the whole thing down.
If you're moving servers, at some point you'll probably need to go into phpMyAdmin (or at least your host's control panel) to get a backup of the database. At this point you could run the SQL query I posted.

How many times do you move servers and need this functionality anyway? Toungue

We already have the "complete" board closure for upgrades and such Toungue