MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: vBulletin 3.7 - how will MyBB react?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
vB is required for certain forums, MyBB is required for others, and IPB for others. phpBB is never required, nor is SMF :p.

I can honestly say that I have tried all the mainstream and most of the non-mainstream open source software; my favorites? MyBB, vB, and IPB.

I would use IPB if I was making a forum trying to bring in professional business type people. I would use vB if I wanted to please the members with features, over the admins. I would use MyBB for probably everything else, and I do. I own one vB and around 4 other MyBB boards. In my history, I have only owned about 3 vB, probably around 10 MyBB, and 1 IPB. 20 IF but thats when I neither respected nor understood software.

MyBB doesn't have to add a billion features to beat vB. They are already gaining up on them with a ton less features. MyBB had the right idea by keeping things easy for both the admin and user. The necessities are there and then some, and that is what a good board needs. As someone said, all MyBB has to do is get 1.4 out there, but thats not to rival them, thats just because Im too anxious to keep waiting XD.

One more point: I run a vB and every now and then I get a database error which is just no fun. On all the MyBB boards I've run in all my years, NEVER have I had an error. One time I had a polls error that Tikitiki fixed in a second by actually joining my board. (the problem was because the file didn't load when I upgraded, due to the ftp client, not MyBB) vB has good support, MyBB has better support, its a fact, and I don't think many would argue that. There is only one MyBB board that I know of that gets errors, and Im not sure why that is. MyBB is, for the most part, relatively error free when they release.

One final thing regarding vB version releases Toungue. They used to release a new .X version weekly. Shoot, IPB was doing it daily a few months ago. I love how when MyBB makes a release, it is what it is, and you don't need to download a patch the next week. Its good for us designers.
COMTECH, INC Wrote:In denial? You are joking, right?

I've used MyBB previously, as a matter of fact I have used every single forum software package available since 1998 & the majority of those are no competition for vBulletin. MyBB is nice & I consider it a very lite version of vBulletin, I recommend MyBB for those who want vBulletin but can't afford the price.

All I see here in these forums are people who want to believe MyBB is the single best forum solution on the market, but it isn't. It isn't even the case for "free" forum solutions. Perhaps MyBB 1.4 will offer something new & exciting. Right now it really doesn't stand out among the top two "Free" forum software packages.

The only fanboys I see at the moment, are MyBB fanboys. I have called vBulletin out more than once on their software, I am known as "Discussions" over there.

I feel vBulletin is heading in the right direction & while the first steps they have taken offer an ugly view...I know the promise of a polished gem is just around the corner either by vBulletin developers or the great developers at vBulletin.org.

Just stop the bashing - this is a major turn off for anyone who may be considering MyBB.
The first thing you must come to realize is that people have different opinions on things. I'd hazard a guess that most people on this forum like MyBB to some extent, whether they are simply considering it or love it dearly. Everyone has their own "#1," even in forum softwares - some may like MyBB, others may like IPB or vBulletin or phpBB or any of the forum softwares out there - and it's their choice. If at the end of the day someone chooses MyBB, that's great, if they don't, that's great also - whatever works best for them.

Personally, I don't like vBulletin all that much - it has an excellent feature set, that I will say, but its layout and Admin CP are cluttered and ugly, in my personal opinion. Again, an opinion - which everyone is perfectly entitled to. It may be against your opinion, but that's fine, isn't it?

You'll find MyBB fans here - what else would you expect? As Tikitiki put it, you'll find phpBB fans at their forums and so on. You'll find people who love MyBB here, and you won't find too many vB fans here, which is why you'd only be seeing MyBB fans in this thread. This is the MyBB forums, after all.

As Chris put it, people who want a community solution will clearly be able to seek vBulletin - there's a market for people who want that, and vBulletin has chosen to try and fill that market. Some will like the features, some will not, and in the end, it really is just a matter of opinion.

If anyone is bashing vBulletin in this thread, and not just poking fun, then that's not good and should be corrected. But, as far as I can tell, there is no extreme bashing in this thread - just opinions. Wink
Wow, I came here to look up latest MyBB news to use the software for a forum I am thinking of making and I've been totally put off using it due to the immaturity and childish attitude of the people here against vBulletin.

I have used pretty much all free forum software along with paid like IPB and vBulletin, and vBulletin is worth the money 110%.

I guess I'll be looking purchasing an IPB or vB license for my forum now which was a shame since I used to like MyBB quite a bit.

But, a community is driven by the users and the users here do not seem like mature kind of people.

I wanted to sign up to post this so people here can try and rethink their attitude when it comes to discussing other software. Or should that be, "Bashing" other software Rolleyes

Good day.
Yet another fanboy Smile
Unfortunately, this thread has reached a point where nothing good is coming of it. Closed.

Chris has already stated the MyBB Group's point of view, and as such, the thread has been answered.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5