MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Changing "New Posts"/"No New Posts" Behavior
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm one of the administrators of a newly opened private forum. So far the software is great, but there's one small thing that bugs me about it.

On the main forum index, the "Forum Contains New Posts" marker for each subforum only shuts off if you read all unread posts in the subforum, visit that subforum's index at least once, and then go back to the main forum index. This means that you can't jump to a thread, look at it, and then jump straight to the main forum index to have this marker turn off. Instead, you must also go back to the subforum index, which can be rather inconvenient at times.

Would it be at all possible for someone to write up a quick modification to change this behavior so that the subforum is marked read immediately after all the posts are read?

Thanks for your time.

- Dan
I think these bugs are fixed in MyBB 1.4
We're currently on 1.2.9. Is 1.4 a developer version? I'd like to stick to release versions where possible...
FoxBlitzz Wrote:On the main forum index, the "Forum Contains New Posts" marker for each subforum only shuts off if you read all unread posts in the subforum, visit that subforum's index at least once, and then go back to the main forum index. This means that you can't jump to a thread, look at it, and then jump straight to the main forum index to have this marker turn off. Instead, you must also go back to the subforum index, which can be rather inconvenient at times.
Not entirely correct Toungue
// If the lastpost is greater than the last visit and is greater than the forum read date, we have a new post
		if($lastpost['lastpost'] > $mybb->user['lastvisit'] && $lastpost['lastpost'] > $forumread && $lastpost['lastpost'] != 0)
		{
			$folder = "on";
			$altonoff = $lang->new_posts;
		}
The forumread cookie is based on time, so whether you visit the forumdisplay.php page is irrelevant.
I think reducing the "Who's Online" time may "fix" your problem. (not entirely certain)

DCR Wrote:I think these bugs are fixed in MyBB 1.4
It's not a bug Toungue

FoxBlitzz Wrote:We're currently on 1.2.9. Is 1.4 a developer version? I'd like to stick to release versions where possible...
1.4 is an upcoming version.
Hmm, just now I read all the posts in one subforum, visited the subforum index, and then the main index, and that subforum was marked read. I then visited all the posts of another subforum and then went straight back to the main index, waited five minutes, and it was still marked unread. I don't really think the behavior has to do with time, though it may be an issue with the skin (we are on a skin that's for an older version of MyBB, it seems).

Regardless, I'll try reducing Who's Online time.
It's a known issue, that has been fixed in MyBB 1.4.
MrDoom Wrote:It's a known issue, that has been fixed in MyBB 1.4.
It is?

Then apologies FoxBlitzz