MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB on a Mac
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I would like to confirm that MyBB "works on Macs" (Intell iMac)? I just did a series of searches and found references but nothing that said someone actually had cranked up a MyBB Forum from a Mac. I have Cyberduck for FTP work.

I own and operate a dog club on 12 acres north of Atlanta, GA. A few months ago I did my own web site using Rapid Weaver: www.wolfbrook.com and I am adding features to it.

I set up a basic Vanilla Forum that is up and running now. Unfortunately it looks like I will have to load a very large number of add-ons and jump through several other hoops to get the kind of functionality I want. I am a little concerned about conflicts within all the add-ons and Vanilla. I am thinking about changing to another type of forum software.

Features I am looking for: PM'ing, pictures within posts, list of on-line members, member addable information, including pictures of multiple dogs, in their profiles.

I like the looks and MyBB features a great deal. There seems to be a great support community here too.

Thanks for the help,

MacMitch
MacMitch Wrote:Features I am looking for: PM'ing, pictures within posts, list of on-line members, member addable information, including pictures of multiple dogs, in their profiles.

Not sure how you missed all those features. They are all default features except for the last one.

Are you sure your using MyBB?
He is using Vanilla

So are you wondering if mybb has those features?

ohh here is a comparison of the two Those I am not sure how accurate it is.
Tikitiki Wrote:
MacMitch Wrote:Features I am looking for: PM'ing, pictures within posts, list of on-line members, member addable information, including pictures of multiple dogs, in their profiles.

Not sure how you missed all those features. They are all default features except for the last one.

Are you sure your using MyBB?

I am currently using Vanilla. I have only had it a week and I am having second thoughts. I like this MyBB web site, the information I have found here and the supportive community. It reminds me of the Rapid Weaver site I frequent. I was just trying to confirm that I should be able to load it to my Rapid Weaver web site (using Cyberduck for FTP) on my Mac Doc server(no problems with php or mySQL) from my iMac.

I made a post on the Rapid Weaver site too, as I could find no posts there from people using MyBB, maybe we can fix that Smile The Rapid Weaver site uses PunBB.

Just saw the post above..
As the comparison you linked to shows Vanilla requires a horde of add-ons to even approach the feature list of MyBB. I am concerned about conflicts between all those add-ons. Loading them one at a time to check for conflicts would burn considerable time.
K well your question really doesn't make any sense. Are you hosting the site on a Mac or is your computer a Mac? MyBB requires MySQL, Web Server with PHP installed. If your server has that then you can run MyBB.

The only thing you need is working browser (FF is the best bet because what I here Safari sucks Toungue) and a FTP program. (which you said you already had one)

There is nothing special you need just because your on a Mac.
Snake Wrote:K well your question really doesn't make any sense. Are you hosting the site on a Mac or is your computer a Mac? MyBB requires MySQL, Web Server with PHP installed. If your server has that then you can run MyBB.

The only thing you need is working browser (FF is the best bet because what I here Safari sucks Toungue) and a FTP program. (which you said you already had one)

There is nothing special you need just because your on a Mac.

Sorry we are having a little communication problem. The short answer to all your questions is yes. Or more specifically, I will download MyBB to my iMac, upload to MacDoc's Mac Server using Cyberduck. MacDoc has PHP and MySQL.

As I understand it I should have no problems. The Rapid Weaver site has a tutorial for adding forums in which they discuss all the notable free forum software except MyBB. I am not sure why no one there seems to be aware of MyBB but it just made me wonder.
MyBB will run fine so long as you have PHP and MySQL installed. Sounds like you should have no issues although I have never used a Mac so I can't say for sure since I have never used any of the Mac apps you have described.
The joys of Mac users hehe

I hadnt heard of Mybb before and i think its just great, Definatly the best free one!

its like the Vbulletin of free open source forum software

and the amount of plugins is great too from what i heard its easy to make lugins for it i aint got a clue because i aint looked into it

(is there any tutorials for making Mybb plugins)
dansgalaxy Wrote:The joys of Mac users hehe

I hadnt heard of Mybb before and i think its just great, Definatly the best free one!

its like the Vbulletin of free open source forum software

and the amount of plugins is great too from what i heard its easy to make lugins for it i aint got a clue because i aint looked into it

(is there any tutorials for making Mybb plugins)

Guess I will try loading her up. I'm excited. Nice community, nice web site, worth a try.

Eight different Macs in 25-30 years without a single hardware failure, no viruses, yes it has been a joy.

Thanks for the help

MacMitch
Oh I see. I didn't read that properly.
Pages: 1 2