MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: To use or not to use a theme that is the question!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am in the process of setting up MyBB on my web site. I think I can change colors and some other basic things within MyBB without a theme? There are some themes that look like they might work with my Web Theme. I am trying to decide whether to try a theme with my initial install or not. I am a little concerned about whether or not it may be a chore to remove a theme later on if I come up with something better.

Rapid Weaver, my web software, offers a page option called an iframe that creates a blank page with my RW theme that I can set the MyBB page within. Using that option about all I would need to do within MyBB is select a green color within MyBB that does not clash with the other greens my Theme uses. The iFrame would maintain my web page header, footer and the color scheme in the areas surrounding the content area.

Knowing these details will a Theme serve me better than just altering MyBB myself?

Here is a link to the blank iFrame page that I just removed Vanilla from:
http://www.wolfbrook.com/Home/page11.html

Thanks for the help

Mitch
MacMitch Wrote:I am in the process of setting up MyBB on my web site. I think I can change colors and some other basic things within MyBB without a theme? There are some themes that look like they might work with my Web Theme. I am trying to decide whether to try a theme with my initial install or not. I am a little concerned about whether or not it may be a chore to remove a theme later on if I come up with something better.

* Removing a theme takes a few seconds. You may try as many as you like, provided that they are compatible with the current version of mybb. The only thing is that you may have to deal with certain errors (as has been reported by some users here).
* You can always change colors in the default theme provided that you know the hexadecimal values for these colors (I can provide you with a handy tool which gives you those values, if like).
I recommend that you start off with the second option, if you are not familiar with themes.

If you are using FireFox, I recommend this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/271

Regards
Thanks for the reply.

I think I will start out with no theme and just use the Rapid Weaver iFrame as you suggest.

I have been using a little Rapid Weaver Snippet to figure out the color codes but it only shows some of the colors so I end up guessing to some extent. If you have a better tool for obtaining exact color codes I would love to have the link.

I am on a Mac using Safari. The only add-on I am planning to start with is 373 - invite_new_user(0. I think the basic package has just about everything I need.

I am interested in anything that gives members more ability to customize their profile with pictures and textual information though. I own and operate a 12 acre dog park and club. People love to make information about their dogs and what they are doing with them available to other dog enthusiasts.

Thanks again,

Mitch
Link to the tool has been sent to you in a pm.

Regards
maatty Wrote:Link to the tool has been sent to you in a pm.

Regards

Yes I found it, unfortunately I did not notice it needs another app. and I am on a Mac.

Thanks for the thought though,

I tried a couple Themes and had trouble there....
From another post:

Ok, I have two sets of Theme Image folders (Ubuntu Outdoors & Legend Green) loaded in the Images file.

Then I tried to import:
Legend%20Green-theme.xml
and
Ubuntu%20Outdoors-theme.xml

I get this message if I don't check "Ignore version compatibility"...

"The theme file is not for the current version of myBB you are running (1.2.9). If you still wish to install it, please change 'Ignore Version Compatibility' to yes."

and this message if I do check it...

"Could not open the local file. Does it exist? Please check and try again."

Is there anything I can do? Are these themes just not working now due to updates to MyBB...

Thanks for the help,

Mitch