MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: how are browsers hijacked?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering,
I went to a forum a few years ago like in 03
and i stayed logged in or on their site and the nex time i found a message from the site, in my email from another member using the site's email .

im not clear on this, its been a long time
but i clicked on the opened email that was subscribed it was a v b style forum, and I had problem , i went to a computer chat forum and they told me what to do , which i cant remember but my browser was hijacked, they had said.

is this possible and can they do this with emails and ip banning, is this common features on vb versions?
or do they add it or use software to do this?
Normally:
1) Flaws in the JavaScript Engine
2) Flaws in ActiveX (in IEs case)
3) Flaws in ActiveX objects/browser plugins themselves (i.e. Adobe Flash Player)

From the sound of things I'm guessing its number 1.
is there a fix to that, besides a firewall or a spyware? or a link on this stuff?
No, make sure to check frequently for browser updates. Wink
Of have those features turned off unless you trust the site 100%.
Thanks,
how do they do this, what to look for? whats some tell tale signs of common browser hijack plots or schemes?

thanks again,
what should the settings be set to protect one , normally, and what about java settings?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I suggest you install and use Firefox with the NoScript extension.
This will already prevent a lot of these pests.
I really wouldn't worry about this kind of thing unless you are visiting sites that appeal to this kind of behavior, for lack of a better word.
I am not sure I understand what you are asking correctly but are you saying you clicked on a link in an email and it took you to a web site other than that indicated by the link in the email?

If this is the case then your browser was not hijacked but rather you clicked on what I would call a hidden link for want of a better word.

An example of this would be the link I have posted bellow, by all appearances it looks like a link to the MyBB home page but in fact it is a link to the MyBB Wiki.

http://www.mybboard.net