MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MySQL error: 1270 illegal mix of collations - help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

New install of version v1.29 a Centos server system running PHP 4.47, MySQL 4.1.7, with Apache 2.0.

phpMyAdmin reports:
MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
MySQL connection collation is set to: utf8_unicode_ci

also note that I changed the prefix of the database records from mybb_ to mm401_

The install seems fine but when I go to click on Manage Groups or Admin Permissions I get this error:

MySQL error: 1270
Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,COERCIBLE), (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT), (latin1_swedish_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation 'concat'
Query: SELECT u.uid, u.username, u.lastactive, u.usergroup, u.additionalgroups, a.permsset FROM mm401_users u LEFT JOIN mm401_adminoptions a ON (a.uid=u.uid) WHERE (u.usergroup IN (4) OR CONCAT(',', u.additionalgroups,',') LIKE '%,4,%') ORDER BY u.username ASC

phpMyAdmin displays two warnings:

* The mbstring PHP extension was not found and you seem to be using a multibyte charset. Without the mbstring extension phpMyAdmin is unable to split strings correctly and it may result in unexpected results.

* Cannot load mcrypt extension. Please check your PHP configuration.

Is there anything I can do without having to reinstall the database? or is there a version incompatibility with the older MySQL, PHP and myBB?

Tips or hints would be grateful as I'm at a near dead stop.

Thanks,

cvtrig
I would suggest Upgrading PHP & MySQL. Especially PHP since Version 4 will not be supported by PHP at the end of this year
Tikitiki Wrote:I would suggest Upgrading PHP & MySQL. Especially PHP since Version 4 will not be supported by PHP at the end of this year

That's what I thought.

Thanks
Tikitiki Wrote:I would suggest Upgrading PHP & MySQL. Especially PHP since Version 4 will not be supported by PHP at the end of this year

So after speaking with my web admin, they don't want to move away from phpv4. So my next question is:

Is myBB only using the UTF-8 charset or can it use a multi-byte charset that would require a variation of this?

I'm still learning about charset collation issues, so pardon me if my nomenclature is off.
If you've already converted to UTF-8 then there's no supported way of going back; As for PHP 5, I would highly suggest you either tell them to upgrade or dump them. They've had 3 whole years to upgrade. Not only will PHP be dropping support but we will for MyBB Version 1.6 and beyond.

I'm pretty sure this issue can be resolved by upgrading.