MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Possible Changes to MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Chris,

Let me congratulate you on a great piece of coding.

Your forum software would have to be rated amongst the best... But!

And there's always one of them...... BUT!!!Toungue

I downloaded and installed it today to give it a 'burst' and found a few things that make it a 'little hard' for the un-initiated to install, notwithstanding your excellent installation instructions.

Could I recommend just a couple of changes to make it m-o-r-e user friendly.

1. Change the upload folder in your zip file to 'myBB or forums'.

2.a. Parse the installation url to the 'cookie domain'.
2.b. Parse "/" to the 'cookie path'.

Not everyone understands what is required there.. Experienced user's do and can modify it.

3. The Anti-Spam-Image: Drop the lower-case and keep it all upper-case... and don't use (I, 1, O, 0, 5, S,) as it really makes it difficult for those of us with less than good eyesight; and it's not really a security issue, it's just a 'key' to prevent auto-login.

That's it,

It looks terriffic, and if you want to add a Schmuck to your Beta-Testing, send me a copy of any upgrades you want to run with (though I'm no expert) and I'll give you the 'end-user's' point of view. Just attach it to an email...

And lastly... If you want a Mirror for your files, just let me know, but I will probably convert them to .tar.gz as well as .zip and stick them up on the server, and post the url's here.

David.

[Image: calvin3.gif]
During installation, you need the text "Please leave off (or on?) trailing /" for URL to forums. You've missed it off the myBB install, but it's in the admin panel. There have been a few people who have had this problem.
I agree with the folder in zip rename suggestion.
How about just having a docs folder inside the root folder and then people can look there and decide wether or not to upload it. That's what other people/comapnies do and it makes sense Wink
Quote:3. The Anti-Spam-Image: Drop the lower-case and keep it all upper-case... and don't use (I, 1, O, 0, 5, S,) as it really makes it difficult for those of us with less than good eyesight; and it's not really a security issue, it's just a 'key' to prevent auto-login.

I agree with this one, sometimes the letters are too hard to type.
But you don't need to rename the upload folder, as it says to upload the contents of the upload folder doesn't it, not the actual folder itself
decswxaqz Wrote:During installation, you need the text "Please leave off (or on?) trailing /" for URL to forums. You've missed it off the myBB install, but it's in the admin panel. There have been a few people who have had this problem.

I've tested a lot of forum software, and this is a 'curly' one...

It's better to do a basic install for the Schmuck, (as in myself), as I went through the whole database / Admin config... to find out where the the continual request for 'login' was being generated, and then realised that 'cookies' were not being generated. If it was defaulted to the installation url, and / (root) then that would overcome a lot of the problems I have seen posted here.

Quote:I agree with the folder in zip rename suggestion.
How about just having a docs folder inside the root folder and then people can look there and decide whether or not to upload it. That's what other people/comapnies do and it makes sense Wink

The 'doc's' folder inside the 'upload' folder was something else I was going to suggest also, as it does tend to confuse exactly what is required of the upload... shove them all in one folder, and name the folder as previously suggested... myBB of forums; so that when it's unpacked at the server, it's all ready to be installed.

I'm not sure I would love a default url ["http://mysite.com/upload"]:rolleyes:

Anyway, it's a lot of fun for me; others find it difficult to rationalise the jargon unless it's spelt out in plain English... or American Toungue
It also helps if people just want to upload the zip and then use SSH to unzip the file. Instead of getting two folders, they get the contents where they want it. Otherwise you get "domain.com/forums/content" which is not very useful as you have to start moving things.
Dempsey Wrote:But you don't need to rename the upload folder, as it says to upload the contents of the upload folder doesn't it, not the actual folder itself

I agree with you Dempsey,

But it also doesn't say to make a folder to upload them to...; and it also means the .zip file would have to be extracted first and then re-packed with the contents of the 'upload" folder, then sent to the server as "What" ???

If the whole content of the .zip file was within one folder, then it makes it a lot easier to upload and extract, providing it is aptly named... and "upload" is not an apt name..

Don't get me wrong.... I'm not criticising here, just trying to make things a lot more simpler for the un-initiated.