MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Charset irregularities (resolved)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MyBB version: 1.2.10
DB version: MySQL 4.0.24
PHP version: 4.3.10-22
Browser: Safari 3.0.4 (523.12)
Theme: Default (and others)

I do not have UTF-8 support enabled and I wouldn't like to enable it. My current langpack is based on ISO-8859-1. No matter which langpack I choose and which character encoding I select, some of the database's content is rendered as UTF-8.

The forum announcements and forum names are two examples. In a test a forum announcement is titled "Jäsenkirje 13-2007 on ilmestynyt". That is incorrectly rendered.. the letter ä is shown as if it was a UTF-8 character. Please See the enclosed attachment #1. The title of the normal thread "Testiaihe äö ÄÖ" is correctly rendered with the $langinfo['charset'] = "iso-8859-1" and the title of the announcement is garbled. With langinfo['charset'] = "UTF-8" it is the other way around (See attachment #2)

All database entries are correctly shown via PHPmyadmin.

EDIT (Clarification): Everything renders correctly in the admin panel with ISO-8859 selected.. it is just the forum titles, announcement titles and announcements texts that render incorrectly on the forum pages.

[attachment=8142][attachment=8144]
That's because you must convert the data too using the UTF-8 tools in the ACP.
Tikitiki Wrote:That's because you must convert the data too using the UTF-8 tools in the ACP.

My language pack files are in ISO-8859-1, if I convert the data of the board's content to UTF-8 format, the strings in the language pack files would be garbled. Also, I am deploying this in an integrated environment in which there will likely be includes from other php applications which are using ISO-8859-1 as the charset.

Converting to UTF-8 is not an optimal solution for me. Is there really no way to keep using any other charset with MyBB?

BTW, The name of the board is one of the strings that is also not showing up correctly on the board, although it shows up correctly in admin panel.

EDIT: I found the problem. I was using english to admin the pages, but finnish for the actual board pages. If I posted anything via board pages, they would show up OK on the admin pages until they were edited, which would cause them to be saved in UTF-8. Changing english langpack charset to ISO-8859-1 solved the problem.
Yes, for those of you using non-utf8 language packs will either need to fix it yourself or suggest to the author to update it to UTF-8.