MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Moving from a Cpanel Host, to godaddy hosting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My board is hosted on a cpanel host, but i just bought hosting from godaddy, and found out that they dont use cpanel.
How can I transfer the board to there?
The files: I downloaded all the file from my current host and will upload them again to godaddy
The Databses: This is the problem, I dont know what to do. They dont even use phpmyadmin.

How can I move them?
bojomojo Wrote:My board is hosted on a cpanel host, but i just bought hosting from godaddy, and found out that they dont use cpanel.
How can I transfer the board to there?
The files: I downloaded all the file from my current host and will upload them again to godaddy
The Databses: This is the problem, I dont know what to do. They dont even use phpmyadmin.

How can I move them?

Stop! Don't move to GoDaddy. They are pathetic. Their ability to handle database-driven content is extremely poor. I was with them 7 months, until I learned their problems. They are totally unable to deliver knowledgeable tech support. Worse, they tried to hijack one of my domains. There are many better places, with and without cPanel. Don't waste your time.

If you wish more advice on what to do, send me a private message.

But stay away from GoDaddy!
I have been with Godaddy for about 2 years and have had my forum with them for about a year and a half. They might not have cpanel, but they do use phpmyadmin, which is the only thing you need. The only problem I've encountered so far is that you can't get error logs with shared hosting. So far that hasn't been a problem with me. I have had a smooth experience with them and don't regret using them.

If you do want to move your forum there, all you have to do is create a database in your Godaddy control panel (which is their version of cpanel) and then import your database backup using something like bigdump. I've done it a few times now with my test forum and it's easy!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Everyone has an opinion, by the way.
judel Wrote:I have been with Godaddy for about 2 years[...]
Just quickly, does emailing work for you?
rh1n0 Wrote:

GoDaddy doesn't support IMAP email, and the mailboxes are pathetically small unless you pay for an extra-cost service. That's yet another problem we dealt with over there.
rh1n0 Wrote:

What do you mean, "does emailing work"? Like mass email or forum mailers? Then yes.
Gene Steinberg Wrote:
rh1n0 Wrote:
GoDaddy doesn't support IMAP email, and the mailboxes are pathetically small unless you pay for an extra-cost service. That's yet another problem we dealt with over there.
I meant emails sent via MyBB using the php mail function. Smile Sorry.

Is there any delays at all?
Delays? I haven't noticed any. My test accounts get them pretty quickly.
rh1n0 Wrote:
Gene Steinberg Wrote:
rh1n0 Wrote:
I meant emails sent via MyBB using the php mail function. Smile Sorry.

Is there any delays at all?

That should work, but remember there are defined limits for the number of simultaneous messages. But unless you're doing a mass mailing, it won't be a problem getting notices of new messages and such. Mass mailings are not workable on GoDaddy, unless you buy -- sigh -- another extra-cost service.
Mass mailings are not workable? How many members did you have when you were with them? Maybe they aren't anticipating someone with a huge forum using their economy packages? That's what their higher levels are for. If you're running a big business, you shouldn't expect to only pay $30 a year on hosting. I'm not complaining about that, that's for sure...but like I said, everyone has an opinion. Some people love godaddy and others hate it. It's up to the individual if they want to give them a try.
Pages: 1 2