MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Disk space and bandwidth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking into hosting options for a MyBB forum and need some info about disk space and bandwidth usage. A forum I was once involved in had 1,600 members, 12,000 threads and 163,000 posts when it shut down after about two years. It was remotely hosted on ProBoards, so I didn't have any stats. But approximately how much disk space and monthly bandwidth would a MyBB forum of that size require? Can anyone post their own forum's stats to give me an idea? How about this forum's stats?

Thanks
Well!
in your case! the hosting is only required to store the files of MYBB. And according to my computer the size of MYBB's current version is not more then 5-6 MB! with default theme! just an untitled original pack! but i am sure if you get 50+MB of web space is cool for you!
and now about the members and 12.000 Threads and 163.000 Posts! well this all gets into MYSQL Database! that is just a separate thing! But mostly the Database don't have any size limit! just you don;t need to worry about that!~
and about bandwidth! well if asking frankly i never noticed! currently my board runs on a server which allows 3.5GB every 24 hour bandwidth and 10.0TB for each month!
and in my forum almost every day 2.5+% of 3.5GB Not more then this bandwidth used! NEVER!
well for you i will advice if you want to have a paid host! for your website then no problem but if your looking for free Host! then you can try Quotaless. They only have a link line at the bottom of your website! their bandwidth and web space and MYSQL space is not limited!

and if you want an add free hosting! i will prefer you to go to NEWSIT or 3HOST
well!, NEWSIT allows you 20GB of storage and 300+GB Bandwidth per month!
and 3HOST allows you 5GB of Storage and 50GB of Bandwidth! you can upgrade them at any time! with a very less price and they give a good package! and they both are add free!

NOW if you need an add free hosting with some posting required! try Mainvista or Ahplace!

Hope this works for YOU! if need any other help do write....

FAISAL!
Most hosts install the MySQL server on localhost, so storage-wise, the MySQL database would be the thing that consumes the most.

Some hosts separate the MySQL server from your own - you'll have to check that.

As for number of posts, it will vary obviously. Consider what type of content is posted. If most of the posts are reasonably long, it's obviously going to take up more space.

Let's assume an average of 1KB per post (~1000 characters per post, assuming English), including other MySQL overheads. A board of 163,000 would then obviously take up about 160MB for just posts. Users and threads don't particularly contribute much. At most, the two put together should only be a few MB.

However, for a board of that size, what's probably more important is server load. How many visitors did you get?
I would guess a VPS plan should be suffice - if you choose VPS, pretty much any plan should offer enough bandwidth and storage space.
Thanks for your replies. So under 200MB for a forum that big? Not bad. As for number of visitors, let's say 10-30 at any given time. Maybe 50+ on a good day. A little less than this forum. I'd like to know how much bandwidth it uses per month.
Well YUP 200MB for storage is good because if you want to install extra themes its good! Bandwidth! well i am not sure because i never experienced! but i think over 100-150GB! will be cool!

Faisal!
cigartragic Wrote:Thanks for your replies. So under 200MB for a forum that big? Not bad. As for number of visitors, let's say 10-30 at any given time. Maybe 50+ on a good day. A little less than this forum. I'd like to know how much bandwidth it uses per month.
Again, you'd have to look at other factors, but a rough estimate, probably yes.
Attachments?

Bandwidth wise, it depends on issues such as how many images and whether you use GZip compression or not.
I'd estimate, say about 10-20GB per month, just for the forums (without attachments). Obviously, it depends on many things though.
If you want some stats about the MyBB Community Forums, take a look here:
http://community.mybboard.net/showthread...0#pid46410
Keep in mind, though, that was last year Toungue

Right now I think we're using about 50-60GB bandwidth per month, approximately 4 million hits per month (for this forum only).