MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: embedding into another site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I have a website I designed using CodeIgniter that already has a user login system. I'm looking for forum software that I can add to this site such that the forum uses my authentication data and not the other way around.

Any idea on whether MyBB would be good for this? I don't see embedding listed in MyBB's features, but it does say that there are lots of hooks in the code so hopefully I could write hooks for any authentication and authorization routines to use my own instead.

So basically when the forum needs to know whether a user is logged in, whether that user should be treated as an admin or regular user, and what that user's email address is, it would use my routines instead of the internal ones. But for other user-based data such as notification settings etc. it should continue using the internal routines.

I guess the next-best thing would be if it were possible to keep the data between my system and the forum in sync, so that any additions/changes to username/password/email on my site could be fed to MyBB, and also so that logging in to my site would log in/create a session in MyBB.

Thanks in advance for any general or specific guidance!