MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Recent Post List Plugin - Site Integration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello.

Plug In is:

http://mods.mybboard.net/view/recent-threads-list

I have tried setting up and editing this plug-in, but the instructions are sparse.

I found this thread here, but unfortunately the proposed solution is now a dead link. (Click on link in the reply post) Sad

http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=23436

Can I appeal to the holiday spirit and someone throw me some ideas? I have been on this for 2 days now, determined, searching, here and on the net for 16 hours.

I have searched and tried other php code offered by other fellow users on the support forums here, to no avail.

Thank you.

Bill
Hello everyone.

6 days gone past, 38 views, and not one reply?

Can someone at least comment if I did not provide enough information, or if I am missing a tutorial that is easily available, increasing chances of an answer and resolution?

Peace on Earth and Happy New Year 2008.

btcm
What does this plugin do exactly?

On a completely random note, I checked out the authors website and the phone number listed on it is "+44 208 1337 638" Toungue Heck, I'm tempted to call that just to see if it exists, an 02 number must be a London one as far as I am aware.
Thanks Mr Doom.

From the authors explanation....

Quote:Generates a code you can include into your website showing the most recent posts.

Basically, it fetches the most recent posts on your forum and displays them on the homepage (or any page) of your website. It is a teaser to get people interested to check out your forums.

As far as the number, they def are from Europe. Pleasant looking website, cool products, just no support section! Terrible selling point, as they list a sales team. Actually, listing the domain in the plug-in page is a smart idea. As Google/Yahoo crawl MyBB, his link gets picked up and he gets traffic on his site.

Take care,

Bill
btcm

MrDoom Wrote:What does this plugin do exactly?

On a completely random note, I checked out the authors website and the phone number listed on it is "+44 208 1337 638" Toungue Heck, I'm tempted to call that just to see if it exists, an 02 number must be a London one as far as I am aware.
Is this so the newest posts can be shown on a page outside, or inside, the forum. More specifically, what do you want it for? If you want something to show on your homepage, and your homepage is on the same server as your forums, I can make something to do that for you.

If you do, just answer me these questions:
1) Do you want it to show new threads in all forums, or just a specific forum?
2) If you chose all forums for #1, do you have any forums that you don't want to have their threads shown for (i.e. private/staff forums)?

Yeah, I know they are in Europe. +44 is the same international dialling code I have (England). It just amused me that the phone number had 1337 in it.
My suggestion is for you to use javascript and the rss feed. You can get code from sites like dynamicdrive.
I downloaded this plug yesterday.
It's actually designed to display newest threads (topics) not posts,don't kow if it suits you. to me it kinda sucks.
Anyway, I got it to work using example file (new_threads_external.php)
Follow the instructions in readme.
Just edit the path to file named new_threads.php (which should be in your forum's root directory) and make it an absolute path starting with http:// etc.
then use php include in the page you want to display it.

This should work even from a different server.

All the best.
Hello,

It has been a LONG while since I last replied to this thread.

I fell ill, and suffered a family passing and everything was put on hold.

I would like to bump this topic, and take the time to thank MrDoom for offering his time to assist me with this. Also thanks to labrocca & andres_ros for contributing.

As far as MrDoom's questions,

*Yes the homepage/website & forums are on the same server.
*Want to show the hot topics aka "latest threads or posts" on the home page.
*Yes, all forums except:
**for 2 of them which will be viewed only by staff/mods/admin, and:
**for 2 more which will be used as an "information desk".

I appreciate your attention, and hope that 2008 so far has been a good year for you!

Looking forward to responses. Big Grin

Bill
btcm

MrDoom Wrote:Is this so the newest posts can be shown on a page outside, or inside, the forum. More specifically, what do you want it for? If you want something to show on your homepage, and your homepage is on the same server as your forums, I can make something to do that for you.

If you do, just answer me these questions:
1) Do you want it to show new threads in all forums, or just a specific forum?
2) If you chose all forums for #1, do you have any forums that you don't want to have their threads shown for (i.e. private/staff forums)?

Yeah, I know they are in Europe. +44 is the same international dialling code I have (England). It just amused me that the phone number had 1337 in it.
helpbtcm Wrote:Hello,

It has been a LONG while since I last replied to this thread.

I fell ill, and suffered a family passing and everything was put on hold.

I would like to bump this topic, and take the time to thank MrDoom for offering his time to assist me with this. Also thanks to labrocca & andres_ros for contributing.

As far as MrDoom's questions,

*Yes the homepage/website & forums are on the same server.
*Want to show the hot topics aka "latest threads or posts" on the home page.
*Yes, all forums except:
**for 2 of them which will be viewed only by staff/mods/admin, and:
**for 2 more which will be used as an "information desk".

I appreciate your attention, and hope that 2008 so far has been a good year for you!

Looking forward to responses. Big Grin

Bill
btcm

This is a good idea for the forums! I would like to also show the latest threads as well. Any help Mr. Doom would be so appreciated!
An example of what I would like to do can be found here: http://inthe70s.com/

Scroll down a bit to the section Latest 70's Topics

It yanks the latest topics being discussed and places them in this section.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again!
Pages: 1 2