MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: gZIP technology!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
HI!
i want to know some information about gZip!
what is this! and what's it's effect on server!
if its enabled or if its disabled!
And in Admin CP where we can make it enable or disable
hope the efforting team will answer soon!

FAISAL!
http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=26614

Admin CP --> Board Settings --> Change --> Server and Optimization Options --> Use GZip Page Compression?
GZIP is basically a compression tool. It compresses the page output based on the level of compression you choose. For the best possible results, it's best to set the compression level at 1, nothing higher.

Anything higher than lvl 1 compression simply adds to the server load and has no real benefit to you or your visitors.
well!
thanks once more! but is it effected on the server speed! if enabled??

FAISAL!
i think it affects the loading speed because takes time to compress and uncompress..if you have bandwith i suggest you to disable it..if you don't ..set it to lever 2 or 3 .
well! so it means if the level is 9 that is maximum so the result will be ; Not too much bandwidth usage but loading will be slow!
and if it's disabled then bandwidth will be used alot! but it will load fast right??

FAISAL!
GZIP isn't going to use a great deal of additional bandwidth unless you are on a high-traffic website such as www.webhostingtalk.com or another similar to it.

Setting GZIP to anything higher than 1 will also not yield any better results and will simply end up adding additional load to the server without any true benefit.

Setting the GZIP level to 1 will yield the best results with minimal effect on bandwidth and server load.

As above, GZIP is a compression tool. It compresses the output of the pages when in use. It takes a bit more of the server to process and compress, however, it's going to be minimal at a level 1 setting.