MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Suspicious guest on site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i just had a visitor on my site that was causing my site to timeout. I believe he was up to something! So i banned him,what do you guys think?
It does look a bit suspicious.
Suspicious, definitely. It seems to me as if the IP is targeting the member list and some other page, probably constantly refreshing it (without saving cookies; causing multiple sessions to be created).
Thats what i was thinking.
I bet it's a bot crawling for email addresses. memberlist.php is the same name that phpbb uses for it's memberlist and they have settings where emails are not hidden.
Well here is the info on this ip:

State:Florida

City:Longwood

ISP:Roadrunner

Is my members e-mail addresses safe can a bot get them doing that? On another note i am using [Email Encryption (In Posts) by MR Doom]
MyBB doesn't ever give out the emails of members on any of it's pages. If you have MrDoom's plugin installed then all emails will be protected.
Thats good to know thanks...
ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:Suspicious, definitely. It seems to me as if the IP is targeting the member list and some other page, probably constantly refreshing it (without saving cookies; causing multiple sessions to be created).

Ok is their away to stop this from happening? Like a plugin [cookies must be enable to visit this site]. Or the *NIX Load Limiting feature work for this type of behaviour?
The *NIX load limiting feature would only shutdown your forum when your server load reached a certain level, useful for stopping you getting your shared hosting suspended for "excessive use" but not much use for actually stopping the person doing it.
Pages: 1 2