MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tell me how this site works...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So maybe someone here can help me figure this one out. I went to a site called business.com. I see it has a directory, you click so far through the directory then you hit the actual sites that are advertising. Here's all I can figure if it's even correct. It appears as if they are using an ad server to create the sponsored, paid etc... placements on their site, but they are using a directory script of sorts? Don't know and that's what I would like to know. Smile

The Ad Server I'm sure is finding the search phrase keywords and matching ads to the proper search terms. I've been banging my head on the best way to go about having a directory. I have a killer domain name I want to take extreme advantage of that I know would be a great money maker.

I need to create a situation to pull ads and work just like business.com. I don't want to copy and direct works from them, just go about it in the same fashion in regards to sponsored, featured etc... listings and the directory.

Any thoughts here if you understood my babble?
Those are probably direct feeds from an ad agency. You would need to probably already have a successful site before they even allow you to join.
labrocca Wrote:Those are probably direct feeds from an ad agency. You would need to probably already have a successful site before they even allow you to join.

Interesting... But when you click on the sell tab your takin to an ad program almost identical to In-Click. That's what made me think they ran their own ad placement in those sections. High performance pay-per click is how they run it.
I've also been looking at google api's
They probably use a custom designed script for their ad serving and listings. While similar, it could be that they based it off another, which is why it would appear that way.

Creating a directory using PHP isn't too hard and matching terms using the functions of MySQL would make such pretty simple, however, it does take a bit of time to really develop such and integrating it with another script would add to that time frame.