MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: can the login use email address instead of a made up username?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
can I set up mybb to login using email address instead of a made up username? email address + password ? or is this just not available in mybb?
It's can made with a plugin.
but that really unrecommended since all the email address will shown with no protection from bots and spammers Sad
dvb Wrote:It's can made with a plugin.
but that really unrecommended since all the email address will shown with no protection from bots and spammers Sad

Good point for security. On that note, would bots and spammers be able to use emails if they are included in registered members profiles of my forum?
why not?
a human spammers can register to your forum and make a list of emails to spam
rcw Wrote:Good point for security. On that note, would bots and spammers be able to use emails if they are included in registered members profiles of my forum?

No, email addresses are hidden in the MyBB profile. Only people with access to the AdminCP would be able to see them.

They would only be able to get to them if they were used as your username, or posted in a public post that bots could access.
MrDoom Wrote:
rcw Wrote:Good point for security. On that note, would bots and spammers be able to use emails if they are included in registered members profiles of my forum?

No, email addresses are hidden in the MyBB profile. Only people with access to the AdminCP would be able to see them.

They would only be able to get to them if they were used as your username, or posted in a public post that bots could access.

we can display emails to members in our forum can't we, if we add that in the profile?
oh yes, MrDoom is right I didn't understand rcw... sorry
rcw Wrote:
MrDoom Wrote:

we can display emails to members in our forum can't we, if we add that in the profile?
Huh? Members can email your through MyBB if you have entered your email. They cannot actually get your email address. I really like the system, keeps it private.
You won't have a problem UNTIL someone finds it funny and registers with a current users email address, like say yours, and then reeks havoc on the forum as the administrator.
Excuse me. How would someone registering with another users email address magically give them AdminCP access?
Pages: 1 2