MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: **Need This Looked At**
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all it's me again with another note for admin's. My site is up and running now and I am currently going through the process of having a custom downloads section made within the forums. My question now is, other than my links back to MyBB which will be in affect soon, I noticed that when I have downloaded a few Mods they say it is okay for free re-distrubution, some say it's not okay.

Now my new site will be having a download section that I hope original authors can sign up and put their mods onto another site to get them used, if not i was wondering if the mods without the *Not For Re-Distrubution* messages on them can be placed in my downloads section with credits to original author?

I am asking becasue I see it as the more sites that have mods for MyBB the better success rate MyBB has of installations on sites and the bigger rep MyBB gets. If anyone can help please PM me and if Chris happens to read this, Mr Boulton, could you please also contact me? Thanks a bunch

Matt Boulton!
It's best to ask the developers of the plugin if they want their plugins to be distributed, especially if they explicitly mention that their plugin is not to be distributed.

I would imagine that most of the time, it's to stop others distributing it and claiming it as their own, however, it's best to confirm with the original author.
ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:It's best to ask the developers of the plugin if they want their plugins to be distributed, especially if they explicitly mention that their plugin is not to be distributed.

I would imagine that most of the time, it's to stop others distributing it and claiming it as their own, however, it's best to confirm with the original author.

Cheers for the information. I figure all the mods have an email attatched t them? I know for certain that I will not be claiming them as their own.
Most authors also want just one place for their mods, so if a security (or other) update is released anyone can easily grab it from the mods site (where it will be updated in the first place).
destroyer Wrote:Most authors also want just one place for their mods, so if a security (or other) update is released anyone can easily grab it from the mods site (where it will be updated in the first place).
Or so that they know which of their mods are more popular (downloads/installation numbers), and will be carried on to future releases of MyBB. Smile