MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Two important plugin requests....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, I still need these plugins. Apparently my account won't be reactivated on Lex's forum.

Honestly I would advise against pruning or deleting members, even members with no posts only because a lot of people have real world priorities/jobs families to worry about and can not spend time constantly posting on a forum.

Usually they will come back and post something if a problem arises or they feel like discussing something. To delete accounts of members who aren't posting or aren't constantly posting is quite an insult giving that not everyone has the time to spend posting.

Such restrictions will likely repel possible members rather than attract them, no one wants to feel forced to do something and do it on their terms when they are able to.

I have no problems with imposing a restriction on minimum posts to download, but I do have a problem when members are deleted for not constantly posting or not posting as all, seeing as how they will probably come back to post when they are able to.

You have to take consideration that not everyone has access to a connection all the time, not factoring in real life priorities, jobs, families etc...

What if a member lost power due to a storm/natural disaster, what if a member went on vacation and didn't have a computer with them, what if they are busy working a job to put food on the table, not enough time to constantly post on a forum?

I understand that administrators don't like to see inactive members in the database or members that don't post, but in my opinion that is not the best way to go about encouraging members to post and will most likely deter members from registering. It is quite insulting to those who were going to post but couldn't at the time because something came up.

I was going to post, but I didn't realize such a draconian rule was imposed on posting.Rolleyes
Quote:Usually they will come back and post something if a problem arises or they feel like discussing something. To delete accounts of members who aren't posting or aren't constantly posting is quite an insult giving that not everyone has the time to spend posting.

Actually the insult could be turned around, it could be looked at as being an insult for folks to register and not post, it gives the impression that folks register thinking they may get something for nothing, maybe they think there are forums that can't be viewed by "non members" so they sign up to have a nose around.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you think, it's entirely at the forum Administrations discretion, as to how she/he runs their own forums!
lufbra Wrote:
Quote:Usually they will come back and post something if a problem arises or they feel like discussing something. To delete accounts of members who aren't posting or aren't constantly posting is quite an insult giving that not everyone has the time to spend posting.

Actually the insult could be turned around, it could be looked at as being an insult for folks to register and not post, it gives the impression that folks register thinking they may get something for nothing, maybe they think there are forums that can't be viewed by "non members" so they sign up to have a nose around.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you think, it's entirely at the forum Administrations discretion, as to how she/he runs their own forums!

I know it's the administrators decision, I'm just saying that usually deleting members is not a good idea. Relatively few members are not going to post anything, and just freeload.

Like I said, I was going to post. However due to issues in life, not able to be online all the time, getting a job, renting an apartment etc....

You have to realize that people have a life beyond forums which is why it isn't wise to delete members from the database.

I have no problems with requiring a certain amount of posts before anyone is able to download anything which is a much better system than the zero posters or low posters are deleted which is what I have a problem with.
Pages: 1 2