MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PHP5 is out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just in case no-one's been paying attention, PHP5 has now been released.

Cool
Wasn't paying attention. :-|

Matt Light just told me on MSN you posted about this. Time to download and test, i guess...
lol, I've been on and off the PHP website for the past couple of hours looking for various bits and bobs, and didn't even notice the announcement. Toungue

Bed time I think... Toungue
Musicalmidget,
That wasn't up there earlier. I check the PHP front page now and then and it wasn't up there earlier this afternoon so you aren't in too deep of a sleep Wink
So what does this mean? Will RC4 be coded in PHP5?
eh? PHP5... does that mean theres changes to codes?
It's pretty easy to make something compatible with both PHP4 and PHP5 - I don't imagine the MyBB team will have too much trouble making it work (and for all I know they might have been testing it with RCs of PHP5 all along)
I'll probably set up PHP5 on localhost when I get around to it, I just need to make sure it won't kill my working version of 4.*something*. I don't imagine there will be many compatibility issues, but we'll see. Smile
beesbees Wrote:So what does this mean? Will RC4 be coded in PHP5?

I hope not since many web hosts are still running MySQL 3.x and PHP <= 4.x. They are notorously bad for their slowness to upgrade. It would be bad for business to limit their [MyBB] customer base by limiting themselves to PHP5 coding.

Plus I would shy away from relying too much on the new PHP until it's been out for a while and had a chance to be fully tested - the copy I installed and tested out was so much slower in terms of performance.
Todd B. Wrote:
beesbees Wrote:So what does this mean? Will RC4 be coded in PHP5?

I hope not since many web hosts are still running MySQL 3.x and PHP <= 4.x. They are notorously bad for their slowness to upgrade. It would be bad for business to limit their [MyBB] customer base by limiting themselves to PHP5 coding.

Plus I would shy away from relying too much on the new PHP until it's been out for a while and had a chance to be fully tested - the copy I installed and tested out was so much slower in terms of performance.

No doubt. I tested it with a couple other forum softwares and it holds well but performance is an issue. I am sure they will ammend and improve a bit so it is always wise to give a month or 2 before jumping on the band wagon for sure.
Pages: 1 2