MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: can you clarify language packs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If I install language packs (which are fantastic IMHO) , do they allow users , say in a foreign country, to join my board (which I want to see in English) and view/use/post in their own language?
Well. i think the main thing is the content you post in the threads!
For example this thread you wrote in english! but some one who is browsing this board in French will see the controls, options in French BUT the content that you posted in your threads will remain in English!!!!!!!!! so it means if some on don't know english can't you use board even if it's in their own language too!

FAISAL!
Faisal Shah Wrote:Well. i think the main thing is the content you post in the threads!
For example this thread you wrote in english! but some one who is browsing this board in French will see the controls, options in French BUT the content that you posted in your threads will remain in English!!!!!!!!! so it means if some on don't know english can't you use board even if it's in their own language too!

FAISAL!
Well I think that even having the controls/links in their own language helps a lot. I know the posts will not be translated (there are pretty good online translators out there just google them) but thats still OK for some.
Well. But if your forum is an entertainment community where you post videos/Movies etc! they can't be translated in GOOGLE [Image: nono.gif]

FAISAL!
Faisal Shah Wrote:Well. But if your forum is an entertainment community where you post videos/Movies etc! they can't be translated in GOOGLE [Image: nono.gif]

FAISAL!
Ahhh I do not have that problem Toungue
Well posts can be in any language; they are not limited by the language packs you install.

What the language packs translate, are the languages that MyBB uses on the pages (for example, the registration agreement, the option selections, button names, etc).

Language packs also don't translate posts; you need a separate modification/plugin to do that.
You could use an internationalization forum, like on this community. Smile
If I add language packs to my forum , can users go back and change their settings to use the new language without problems?
DennisTT Wrote:Language packs also don't translate posts; you need a separate modification/plugin to do that.

is there such a plugin?
rcw Wrote:If I add language packs to my forum , can users go back and change their settings to use the new language without problems?

Yes users can change the language pack at any time. All user-entered data will remain in the language they were posted in.

Ramy Wrote:
DennisTT Wrote:Language packs also don't translate posts; you need a separate modification/plugin to do that.

is there such a plugin?

I haven't heard of one but you can probably easily hook up some links to Google Translate

For example, http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3...en&ie=UTF8

The page is http://www.google.com/translate
And the important parameters are
u=URL
langpair=the language to translate from and to.
Pages: 1 2