MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: private home server help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Are you sure you are ready to run a home server? It entails a lot of work and research. You may be better off with a cheap host for all the trouble you may have to go through.
MrDoom Wrote:So a web server then, jeesh, there are more types of servers you know. Hence the need for the clarification.

And what Operating System will it be running?

Well@

I have XP PRO!
And how much do you know about securing Windows Servers?

I guess you could try using XAMPP (Google it), but you'll have to learn how to secure it for external use on your own.
Well if your going to set up a webserver you mies as well do it the right way doing it all manually so you know what to do when something goes wrong.(Or maybe it will I never did it the right way Toungue)

You may want to buy a book Wink.
Are you sure your host allows port 80 hosting? Often times they don't. There are going to be a ton of problems home hosting a site for someone with no experience. Fasal you seem to have trouble running mybb. Do you really think you can handle a server at this point?
labrocca Wrote:Are you sure your host allows port 80 hosting? Often times they don't. There are going to be a ton of problems home hosting a site for someone with no experience. Fasal you seem to have trouble running mybb. Do you really think you can handle a server at this point?

well!
I am not gona run a server NOW! i was just asking this for knowledge purpose that suppose if in future i want to run then i will have some ideas!!
how ever nice HELP!
I don't mean to say it can't be done but keep in mind that it's not easy. At some point you may consider the time you spend with your server could be time spent on your sites. I know exactly what it's like having an unmanaged server since I have one and at one point had two. I actually am considering removing my colo server and using cheap hosts instead. It's tiresome working on security patches and making sure the server is running properly. At this point places like dreamhost or servage are so cheap and offer large packages that having my own server seems stupid.
Like Labrocca said, running a server isn't easy; installing the needed, monitoring, updating, fixing problems that could persist anytime, and most of all you need money. I have a server of my own, and spending money shouldn't be an issue. Expect paying at-least $800 - $900 in the beginning to by and build the server let alone configuring it. Building is another thing you need to know exactly what your doing and exactly what your buying. I know plenty of people that by motherboards that are incompatible with their cpu; and don't forget you need to get the right operating system for it. Windows XP isn't the greatest thing for servers, their are cases of windows actually forgetting how to operate after a few weeks.
Most of all good luck with your future ventures.
Best of Regards.

labrocca Wrote:At this point places like dreamhost or servage are so cheap and offer large packages that having my own server seems stupid.

I have to disagree with having a server being stupid, their is plenty of advantages that I won't list because I'm too lazy to Toungue.
labrocca Wrote:At this point places like dreamhost or servage are so cheap and offer large packages that having my own server seems stupid.

Not to mention most hosts have a significantly better internet connection than most residential ISPs. Thus, faster page serving, better first impressions. I mean who wants to wait 30 seconds for a page to download Toungue
Quote:I have to disagree with having a server being stupid, their is plenty of advantages that I won't list because I'm too lazy to

I was speaking mainly about myself. Having my own server for the past 8+ years has been an experience but I think it's time I remove the servers. I might rebuild a new one and send it to be colocated once again but the current server I run has gone through some serious work. My last colo server has now been online for 4 years.

And while you can spend $500-$1000 to build a decent system you can do it just as well with a $300 POS for a home server. I plan on getting another Dell most likely and been pricing mine around $1500. Bah...doubtful I will get it till end of 2008.
Pages: 1 2 3