MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Preparser Cache (beta)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:Sorry Tikitiki - it's just that since I've already made the modification, I expected another similar thing to have a number of distinct advantages. Apart from the fewer code edits, I don't particularly see an advantage using your modification over mine.

I guess it's still in development though, so I'll be quiet for now.

Yeah - which is why I didn't release it. I simply don't trust other people's code at such a big board so I or another person on the ncaa coder team rewrites every plugin we put up there. Plus I like to keep the code edits as small as possible which is another reason I rewrote it. Understand?
Tikitiki Wrote:
ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:Sorry Tikitiki - it's just that since I've already made the modification, I expected another similar thing to have a number of distinct advantages. Apart from the fewer code edits, I don't particularly see an advantage using your modification over mine.

Yeah - which is why I didn't release it. I simply don't trust other people's code at such a big board so I or another person on the ncaa coder team rewrites every plugin we put up there. Plus I like to keep the code edits as small as possible which is another reason I rewrote it. Understand?
Surely though, reviewing someone else's code is faster than writing your own? This is only a few hundred lines, after all.
And with your knowledge, I'm sure you could keep the code edits down. As stated, most of these code edits are removing the parser completely from using the badword filter for topic subjects - if you want the parser to parse topic titles basically everywhere, then simply don't do the code edits.
ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:
Tikitiki Wrote:

Surely though, reviewing someone else's code is faster than writing your own? This is only a few hundred lines, after all.
And with your knowledge, I'm sure you could keep the code edits down. As stated, most of these code edits are removing the parser completely from using the badword filter for topic subjects - if you want the parser to parse topic titles basically everywhere, then simply don't do the code edits.

I like my own coding style better (who doesn't?) for one...
Sure. I still don't see the point in your posting this.

If there's some gaping flaw in this plugin, or you really think something could be improved, then I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to mention it.

Of course, you are free to write up your own, and suit yourself.

However, what puzzles me is that, although this plugin works fine, you post yours, and mention that it's incomplete, and have no plans of completing it. Why did you bother? If yours is superior to mine, or fixes some gaping flaw, then, sure, I see your point. But from what I can tell, this isn't the case, so why did you post about it?
(why would anyone post an incomplete, or less capable plugin (and with little or no plans for completion) in the release thread of a fully functional "complete" plugin?)

Apologies if the above sounds bad, but it is certainly bothering me.
ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:Sure. I still don't see the point in your posting this.

If there's some gaping flaw in this plugin, or you really think something could be improved, then I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to mention it.

Of course, you are free to write up your own, and suit yourself.

However, what puzzles me is that, although this plugin works fine, you post yours, and mention that it's incomplete, and have no plans of completing it. Why did you bother? If yours is superior to mine, or fixes some gaping flaw, then, sure, I see your point. But from what I can tell, this isn't the case, so why did you post about it?
(why would anyone post an incomplete, or less capable plugin (and with little or no plans for completion) in the release thread of a fully functional "complete" plugin?)

Apologies if the above sounds bad, but it is certainly bothering me.

Inquiring minds wants to know? You'll have to beat it out of me.

For viewing/educational purposes.
So other people can use it/expand it.
Because I don't have the time or energy to maintain my plugins anymore.
Because I wanted to take a swing at trying to make my own.
Because I wanted the challenge to try and make what you did but with no code edits.
Because I learned a lot from this and how to implement it in a future version of MyBB.
Thanks for the answer.
Tikitiki Wrote:Inquiring minds wants to know? You'll have to beat it out of me.

Because I wanted the challenge to try and make what you did but with no code edits.
Because I learned a lot from this and how to implement it in a future version of MyBB.
Yes, all these are valid points, however, the only point I see, which would justify your posting about it (yes, you are free to develop your own plugin, challenge yourself, learn from it etc), would be letting others expand it.
In that case, why wouldn't the possibility that others could expand my plugin be less than yours?

This is synonymous to me going into a MyBB announcement discussion thread, posting about me making my own forum system, and then later, posting an inferior, incomplete thing, and stating that I won't be continuing it. Sure, I could've done it for the challenge, to learn from it, and whatnot, but don't you think that's at least a little odd?
Yes, I could also state that it's for the benefit of others having the possibility of expanding it, but why would they expand it if they could expand MyBB?

If this was just a mistake, then feel free to say so.
ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:Thanks for the answer.
Tikitiki Wrote:Inquiring minds wants to know? You'll have to beat it out of me.

Yes, all these are valid points, however, the only point I see, which would justify your posting about it (yes, you are free to develop your own plugin, challenge yourself, learn from it etc), would be letting others expand it.
In that case, why wouldn't the possibility that others could expand my plugin be less than yours?

This is synonymous to me going into a MyBB announcement discussion thread, posting about me making my own forum system, and then later, posting an inferior, incomplete thing, and stating that I won't be continuing it. Sure, I could've done it for the challenge, to learn from it, and whatnot, but don't you think that's at least a little odd?
Yes, I could also state that it's for the benefit of others having the possibility of expanding it, but why would they expand it if they could expand MyBB?

If this was just a mistake, then feel free to say so.

First off I never said your plugin was any less expandable than my plugin. Second, I believe it was you that basically invited me into your thread.

ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:Anyways, I'll be interested to see your plugin, Tikitiki! Smile

ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:Sounds interesting Toungue

If you didn't want me to carry on the discussion here then all you had to do was say so.
Tikitiki Wrote:First off I never said your plugin was any less expandable than my plugin. Second, I believe it was you that basically invited me into your thread.

ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:Anyways, I'll be interested to see your plugin, Tikitiki! Smile

ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:Sounds interesting Toungue

If you didn't want me to carry on the discussion here then all you had to do was say so.
Well, of course I'm interested, however, I expected that your making your own plugin would mean that it would be better, or fix some issue. I'm always interested to see how I can improve my code.

I apologize for the misunderstanding.
ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:I apologize for the misunderstanding.
that was a great action from you mate to apologize..
honestly whene someone say sorry about any mistake or misunderstanding I feel
he have a strong and brave personality..
BTW, that was happy ending for this long discuss..
peace for both of you..
and sorry for my off topic long comment Toungue
^ I think when there's a debate between Tikitiki and I, it's always a misunderstanding...

Tikitiki is probably somewhat fed up with me - it seems we've had a number of disagreements before. I hope he understands that I really don't mean any harm - he has certainly helped develop an excellent forum system, and the high quality of the code in MyBB reflects that.
Unfortunately, I'm not exactly a nice person - there are a number of people here who can act very nice, but I'm not one of them.

I want to help, but I generally will post my opinion, even if it's going to clash with someone else.

Anyways, back on topic: if 1.4 has a slightly different method in inc/functions_post.php, it will be interesting to see if making a preparser without code edits would be possible Toungue.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5