MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrade Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm in the process of setting up another new MyBB forum. I'm changing around the default theme to suit my tastes, changing some colors and icons etc.

I guess my question is, will the upgrade to 1.4 be a smooth transition for someone like me?

I would hate to have to re-do all this work all over again in a few weeks time when 1.4 comes out.

Thanks
No, I doubt it will be a smooth transition. Your themes and plugins won't work with the new version and will have to updated again. If you're too worried and plan to upgrade as soon as it comes out, I wouldn't recommend putting too much work into changing your forum now.
Yea, 1.4 will have a ton of changes and all themes will have to be re-done or get a new one. So like Judel says your customization should wait for later.
After reading around the internet, I thought that the theme of the board was staying the same?
Essentially, yes, the theme will not change. But as there will be new features there will be theme alterations to better suit the new features as well as template changes for the same reason.
If you have spare time though, there is no reason you couldn't familiarise yourself with the image/code changes you will want to do. Smile
If you are only modifying CSS there shouldn't be a drastic change, templates are a different story.

Templates always change with major upgrades, such as 1.2 to 1.4.

What I recommend you do is when 1.4 is released, set up an additional testing forum so you can convert your theme, once done export the theme to your computer.

Once you've done that upgrade your actual board to 1.4, then import the converted theme.
Ryan Ashbrook Wrote:If you are only modifying CSS there shouldn't be a drastic change, templates are a different story.

Templates always change with major upgrades, such as 1.2 to 1.4.

What I recommend you do is when 1.4 is released, set up an additional testing forum so you can convert your theme, once done export the theme to your computer.

Once you've done that upgrade your actual board to 1.4, then import the converted theme.

That sounds like a great plan!
Thanks, now I will go full speed ahead getting my forum up and running.
MyBB Wiki Wrote:New theme system allowing you to specify multiple stylesheets per theme and tell MyBB which pages or actions they should be attached to
[wiki]1.4.0[/wiki]