MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: my forum was hacked and stopped working hypthetical:what do I do now
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently saved a full back up to my computer.
My forum just stopped working like something went wrong(hypothetical)
What should I do next exactly?
Hypothetical? You mean nothing is actually wrong, but you want to know what to do just in case?
Hypothetically.

You would create a snapshot of the files ,the database (ALL OF IT) and the server logs and save it to your hard disk, then report it.
judel Wrote:Hypothetical? You mean nothing is actually wrong, but you want to know what to do just in case?

yes, hypothetically, has not really happened.

Suppose my forum crashed but I have backups on my computer.
What do I do, just upload the backed up file back to my server and everything should work OK again?
rcw Wrote:
judel Wrote:Hypothetical? You mean nothing is actually wrong, but you want to know what to do just in case?

yes, hypothetically, has not really happened.

Suppose my forum crashed but I have backups on my computer.
What do I do, just upload the backed up file back to my server and everything should work OK again?

Well that depends if the one of those files is database back up too.
As long as you keep backups, you should be safe. If you ever need to restore, use Big Dump, which easily restores your backup file back to your database. I've used it twice now and am thankful it was recommended to me.
There are 2 parts..the backup and then the restore.

1) The Backup
a. Use phpmyadmin and "export" your database an sql file.
b. Use FTP or cpanel to create a file system backup.

2) The Restore
a. Log into phpmyadmin and "import" your sql file back into the database.
b. FTP into server and upload your backed up file system.
c. Chmod the files properly too.
inc/settings.php 666
uploads/ 777
uploads/avatars/ 777

That's about it.

I have backup in the event of a hacker attack. I change my DNS with the registrar and restore the site onto a different host.

Recommended backup is at least once a week and optimal is daily.