MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: users can't register ..."multiple registrations error?"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got this email from a user today:

"Hi,
I tried to register on your forum and it stated that I had multiple registrations. Well, I just learned of this site and this is my first attempt to register, so I have no idea what that is all about! It also stated that I had visited the site today at 0915 P.M. January 16, interesting since it is only 0821 P.M. January 16.
Should I give up? I'm just not into the "Registration Battle" any more."

Anyone help with this?
maybe IP problem, when you connect to the internet you receive an IP address that belonged to somebody else before you, so maybe that IP was belonged someone tried register to your site.

ask that visitor to register again and explain the problem, also I suggest you offer him to just send to you his information and you'll register for him.
dvb Wrote:maybe IP problem, when you connect to the internet you receive an IP address that belonged to somebody else before you, so maybe that IP was belonged someone tried register to your site.

ask that visitor to register again and explain the problem, also I suggest you offer him to just send to you his information and you'll register for him.

Can't be IP problem since I am allowing more than one registration per IP.

I did notice two things which may have caused that error:

1. The user name had a space and a period at the end of it which they may have added by mistake. So when they tried to login and they did not use the space and period ...then this may have caused that error.

2. The user was in my "waiting activation" group. Which means maybe they didn't go to their email address and click on the registration link.

I corrected the user name for them and I activated them myself but, I don't know what causes that error ?
There is no reason I can think of that would tell the user that they last visited at "x" time.

They must have registered to view such a thing.
rh1n0 Wrote:There is no reason I can think of that would tell the user that they last visited at "x" time.

They must have registered to view such a thing.

I also just noticed that the email address they used to ask me the question, is completely different from the one used to register. Maybe this was causing some problems ? Maybe they thought they were registered because the permissions allow them to view boards/threads while awaiting activation ?
The default timezone is probably different from the user's timezone, hence the difference in the times shown. A registered user can change his/her timezone in User CP --> Edit Options, but currently this isn't available for guests.

It would be nice if the user provided the specific error message.

However, if you think the user will be a returning visitor, I'd just register him/her manually and send the login info.
DennisTT Wrote:The default timezone is probably different from the user's timezone, hence the difference in the times shown. A registered user can change his/her timezone in User CP --> Edit Options, but currently this isn't available for guests.

It would be nice if the user provided the specific error message.

However, if you think the user will be a returning visitor, I'd just register him/her manually and send the login info.

so someone who registered and then set the time offset....but in the mean time is browsing the board but still did not respond to the registration email.....will get the wrong time. Got it.