MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Private categories and registered users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, I've been looking for a solution for this, but couldn't find anything so far. Let me describe what I am trying to do:

My forum is divided in a number of categories, some of which are "public" and some are "private". That is, every user should be able to see the public forums and registered users should be able to post there, but only a certain number of registered users should be able to see and post to the "private" categories.

So far, so simple: Create a usergroup for the private forums, move users from the "registered" group to the new group, done.

But that's not all I need. What I'd like to do is give certain users the ability to put new users into "private" usergroups. This is also easy: Make them "group leader" of their respective "private" usergroup, and they can add any registered user to their "private" usergroup.

And now my problem: They can not remove them from the "registered" group. But as "registered" users do not have view access to the "private" categories, a user who is in both the "registered" and the "private" group can not see the "private" categories.

Is there a way to achieve what I want without making the "group leaders" full administrators?

Some details in case it is needed:
MyBB version: 1.2.12 (1212)
No plugins installed.
Make sure for that private category that you have set the forum permissions for every usergroup (allow all for that one usergroup, and deny all for all the other usergroups).

See if that fixes the permissions problem.
DennisTT Wrote:Make sure for that private category that you have set the forum permissions for every usergroup (allow all for that one usergroup, and deny all for all the other usergroups).

Awesome! That works. I had the "private" usergroup set up to allow everything by default, and didn't edit this for the specific forums.

Thank you very much.