MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: moving forums?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there some kind of guide that will tell me how to move my forums completely to a different host, keeping all the post data and stuff?

I know you need to download the data and the sql database, but I don't understand what to do from there. I uploaded all the files, but the sql doesn't work.
Hmm.. right now I don't have a link to a guide, but bassically is that:

In your old server:
- Close the forum in Admin CP
- Download and save all the folders & files to your hard disk
- Make a full DB backup using the Admin CP or the MyPhpAdmin

Then in your new server:
- Restore the DB backup using the MyPhpAdmin
- Upload all the prevously saved folders & files
- Open the forum

Then you can delete the data & DB in your old server if you don't need them there anymore. This will help the search engines to notice that your old address must be removed from their lists.

I've moved my forum many times before just that way and worked fine Wink
Once you have your mysql database backup and files backup you need to go to your new host, find out how to get into phpmyadmin, then once your in phpmyadmin follow this video tutorial to import the database.

http://www.dewahost.com/tutorials/cpanel...lfile.html

Make sure all your forum files are uploaded on new host

Then edit /inc/config.php to your new database settings

Then go to your forums.

Aww you beat me Evil Toungue
Inferno Wrote:Aww you beat me Evil Toungue
Ahjaja! X-D !

Ejemm, no problem, I think your guide is better detailed in the spot of "pikaadvance" is having troubles. Smile
Thanks. I did everything, but when I import the sql from phpmyadmin, it gives me this error message:
QL query:

-- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
-- version 2.8.2
-- http://www.phpmyadmin.net
-- 
-- Host: localhost
-- Generation Time: Jan 21, 2008 at 02:38 PM
-- Server version: 5.0.27
-- PHP Version: 4.4.7
-- 
-- Database: `crescent-moon_zxq_net_localhost`
-- 
CREATE DATABASE `crescent-moon_zxq_net_localhost` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;

MySQL said: Documentation
#1044 - Access denied for user 'mdcode'@'localhost' to database 'crescent-moon_zxq_net_localhost' 
are you trying to create the database in phpmyadmin? If so try in your hosting control panel.
It seems like you have to set the privileges for the user "mdcode" that you created.

In your hosting server control panel, you must create a new DB, a new user, and set that user as the DB admin, giving him all the privileges (SELECT, DELETE, UPDATE, etc).

Also.. make sure your new DB has the same name as the DB in your old hosting server, and that way, you don't have to change that in your MyBB files.
Wait..sorry, I'm really confused. Isn't the point of backing up the original DB is to import it? Well, when I import it, and it gives me that message, the DB isn't actually imported at all. Also, I can't have the same DB name because it's 'too long' according to cpanel. But even if I could, it will automatically add a mdcode_ before the DB name.
pikaadvance Wrote:Wait..sorry, I'm really confused. Isn't the point of backing up the original DB is to import it?

Yes, but you must do it from an user account with enough privileges to import an existing DB. Make sure you login to your phpMyAdmin with an admin account. =>
pikaadvance Wrote:Wait..sorry, I'm really confused. Isn't the point of backing up the original DB is to import it? Well, when I import it, and it gives me that message, the DB isn't actually imported at all. Also, I can't have the same DB name because it's 'too long' according to cpanel. But even if I could, it will automatically add a mdcode_ before the DB name.
Try following this tutorial and see what happens.

http://community.mybboard.net/showthread...n=lastpost