MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Change the word "Threads" to "Topics"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

Can someone tell me how can I change the word "Threads" to "Topics" everywhere on my forum.

Is there any global setting which can do the same?
You could replace every instance of the word "Thread" with "Topic" and "Threads" with "Topics" etc via the language files.
inc/languages/english
It's in a lot of the files.
You mean I need to dig into each and every file in the path you specified? thats a lot of work.
Is there any easy way out?
Unless you write a clever script to do it then no.
You would need to change all the buttons as well.
The easiest way would be if, as DrPoodle said, you write a script to do it. Or if there is a mass find and replace tool that searches in many files (one that does PHP may be hard(er) to find than simple text files, but I'm not sure).

Also, the buttons would need a change, but I think there is only one image that contains the word "Thread" Smile
There is an image .psd file which will make changing the image virtually a piece of cake and is available at these forums, posted by Chris Boulton - shouldn't be difficult to find.

As you said, it is a lot of work. Is it necessary? Surely you/your members can adapt to seeing threads instead of topics.
You also need to keep in mind that any future MyBB release that makes changes to the language files (which happens occasionally) you will need to re-modify the files accordingly.

You'll probably find yourself asking, is it worth the trouble?
Actually, I thought this from my forum users perspective... I have been blogging and moderating forums from quite some time now and sometimes I find people--especially newbies-- getting confused over words like "threads" , "posts"... so when I made my own forum, I thought why not to give them a simpler word.

Of-course, as rh1n0 said... if that is the amount of work(and maintenance) required, I am better off with "threads" than "topics"

But anyways Thanks everybody for your replies.