MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [RELEASE] MyBB Multiforums [UPDATED 5/14/08]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hey awsome plugin BMR777. I can see it realy has potental.

Just a quick question, how does it differentiate between forums in the database? Also how hard would it be for all of the forums to use the same userbase?
It differentiates between forums based on the requested URL. It takes the whole filepath requested on the server, such as mybb/forumname/index.php and I chop it down so that it cuts down the mybb/ and /index.php and leaves only the forumname part. Then it uses forumname plus an underscore as the table prefix in config.php for the database tables. Currently though the forumname part can only be 6 or 7 characters because of the way I do the chopping. If you want to see the code look in the modified config.php file included in my script.

As far as the same userbase goes, there is an easy part and a hard part. The easy part would be copying users from an already established forum, such as the master forum, to a new forum. See my code in mkforum.php for copying the settings table, the same could be done for the users table. (I tried this actually though and it was a bit buggy, which is why I modified things in the final release.) The hard part would be making it when one user registers all forums get the new user. For that to happen you would need to edit the MyBB files so that any time it calls up the users table in the database it calls it up from a master table and not the individual forum's table. You can also add other "default" users so that when a forum is created they are included. You can see my default user named "admin" in the mkforum.php file. This would be good for having say a support user or something similar.

There are, however, greater security concerns with many forums sharing one userbase. The hardest part would be having it where a member is an admin on their own forum but not on all forums when the users table is shared.

BMR777
Attached is a teaser screenshot from the next release, which I hope to have out in the next few weeks.

Smile

BMR777

P.S. - Is anyone using this yet? I would love to hear more feedback from those using it in a live environment.
I tried to get it up, for some reason it was not working though. I might try to do it again 2 night, but just wondering if I should wait for your better version with the acp. Smile
Yeah, the version with the ACP will record all forums set up and store their data in the database. If you were to install now you should be able to upgrade to the version with the ACP, however forums created before you upgraded would not appear in the ACP.

If you run into any errors when installing let me know so I can take a look. Be sure to edit mkforum.php, settings.php and config.php with your site and database info.

BMR777
Are you making a 1.4 version (for 1.4 rather)??
Well, once 1.4 comes out I will look at the code and adapt the current script for MyBB 1.4. To be perfectly honest with you, I just started using MyBB three weeks ago! Is there a 1.4 public beta yet? If not, I'll just adapt things once 1.4 comes out.

BMR777
Nope, not yet... But screenies are barely coming to the dev blog!! Smile
I've got a new demo up of the second release of this script:

LIVE DEMO - http://www.studyany.com/mbb3/create/

New features include:
  • Admin Control Panel
  • Ability to view and delete hosted forums from host ACP
  • Email address is automatically added to a forum on creation

I should have this new release packaged up for you all sometime in the next couple of days.

BMR777
Thanks very much BMR777! Great work you've done! Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9