MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Questions about changing forum software.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

matty

im new here too..

is it worth downloading the current version or is it better to wait for the Gold?
The current version of MyBB IS worth downloading. It is stable enough to use, and many of the bugs are just a combination of remote situations given to the board which may result in unwanted fashion. Nothing too severe that will render your board useless. RC4 (Release Candidate 4) is really good enough to use right now. With all the security patches and so forth, you don't even need to update (though it is recommended) as we feel that it's that stable enough.
Thanks for the answers so far..

How hacked/modded feature wise are the forums here? Short of setting up a complete "ghost" forum on my server myself to see a fresh install I cant work out exactly what extras if any you guys have applied

Also can anyone tell me if it will be straightforward to update from RC4 to Gold when it is released or will it require a new install?

Sorry for the continued questions.
here's the a quick and dirty of how the update will *probably* go so don't quote me on this one just yet.

When it is released, you will get a zip of files. You will need to upload and replace those files in there in the corresponding folders and upload any new files. Then, there should be an install folder or upgrade folder (most likely just one install folder) and you may have to upload it.

Then, you will browse to your forums "site.com/forums/install/index.php" or "site.com/forums/install/upgrade.php" . You run those files and follow the instructions there. Not 100% sure how its going to go down, but I believe that's how its going to be (since it's been almost like that for every release). It will be easy upgrading as it was installing a new forum.

matty

thanks for your answers.

Is this software on this board 'as is' or have you modded this?
matty Wrote:thanks for your answers.

Is this software on this board 'as is' or have you modded this?

It's pretty much, as is.
Thanks both of you for you helpful answers. I think the next step will be to setup a new forum using MyBB and have a play.

If after that we are happy we can then begin to worry and attempt the task of transferring over our data base and live forums

Wish us luck Smile

matty

good luck!
Pages: 1 2