MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Version check for files...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Would it be possible to add a "version" to every single php page? Then in admincp one could click some "check files" action and make sure that all the files match the latest release from mybb. This would be very helpful for those that may have problems updating via FTP and miss files. The "version check" could tell them exactly which files were outdated.

Just a thought.
Hmm, the problem with that though is that not all files are updated in each release so the AdminCP would always claim you had with mismatches especially if you used the changed files archives.
Wouldn't that mean that if we were to release a security fix that we would have to change all the files to the new version?
Or even bug fixes, we would need to change all the files to include the new version number..

If this was done we would need to define which files are able to be on an older version for it to be considered up to date.
Eg.
online.php - 1.2.9
index.php - 1.2.12
etc etc
I would imagine this would not be very good for our server.
If the user doesn't upload all the files, there will always be issues, including possible script incompatibilities, as well as the fact that the update checker itself may not be updated.
md5 ?

We've discussed this feature before and plan to have it in a future version
Wha....?! You really going to have MD5 checks on files?

Well, let's just hope the end user doesn't forget to upload the updated MD5 sums file - otherwise, it's going to be completely useless.

Plus, those find and replace security patches are going to be a pain, aren't they? Some people add additional newlines here and there... Unfortunately, MD5 won't be able to take that into consideration...
rh1n0 Wrote:Wouldn't that mean that if we were to release a security fix that we would have to change all the files to the new version?

No..maybe I didn't explain it well.

Each PAGE would have it's own version number.

Example:

memberlist.php version 1.23.a
search.php version 1.23.b

Now when the "version check" occured it would simple run through ALL local php files against a database check at mybb to ensure all versions are latest ones.

Well...maybe this is a bad idea or it will be too difficult for mybb to implement. It was just an early morning thought.

Quote:I would imagine this would not be very good for our server.

It's something that could be run manually only.
Version numbers aren't exactly fool proof. What if the version number was updated but the changes weren't made?

ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:Wha....?! You really going to have MD5 checks on files?

Well, let's just hope the end user doesn't forget to upload the updated MD5 sums file - otherwise, it's going to be completely useless.

Plus, those find and replace security patches are going to be a pain, aren't they? Some people add additional newlines here and there... Unfortunately, MD5 won't be able to take that into consideration...

Well it would be a list on the MyBB Server, wouldn't it? >.>

And yes, there will be limitations but they deal with that at SMF and they do fine don't they?

What other plausible way is there?
Quote:Some people add additional newlines here and there... Unfortunately, MD5 won't be able to take that into consideration...

I don't have a single forums with a single alteration to core files. The plugin system is only getting better and given time you should be able to do just about anything without a core file alteration. IMHO it's worth it because I can't be doing manual updating of 50 installs. It takes me an entire day as it is. If the process can somehow be automatted then I am all for it.
I've actually thought about this.

In all of the default files, we have the Subversion build numbers, so it would be possible to extract them out and compare them against an internal list in the release (that would be generated byour build script)
Pages: 1 2