MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: EBay to ban negative seller views
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ehm... not just me, about 2500 negative feedbacks (and 3000 neutral, btw, that means smthg). It's quite simple, they sell something they do not have in stock and then realize. (anyway that's not my case, but the feedback can be on seller quick replies, expedition times, and so on...) In the meanwhile you lose time and other opportunities to buy that item.
And patience -.-

Anonymous feedback? That would be a better idea, i suppose. Or introduce some kind of time limit for a feedback from the seller (as it will get the payment immediately). If he does not leave a feedback, it's automatically positive. Don't know really.
I like the rating system as it is. I cannot tell you the horrid luck I have on Ebay compared to everyone else.
On the other hand I have purchased stuff that was good, so don't take the below as my only experience!

99% of the time the stuff I've purchased was totally misrepresented. Pictures shown in the auction were not what was sent, Items purchased never received, and items I've shipped never paid for (before the automatic payment bits added to the site).

Lots of bait and switch. A couple of times I simply bought someone's trash. One time it was a hamster cage, advertised as new loaded with piss.

So, as you see, the "I get ripped off Queen" has valid reason for using the negative input button on Ebay!

I used to complain it didnt' allow you sufficient space to give a rational reason for the neg feedback!

Now I can see the other side of this.... People who are not as nice as me would totally abuse this if you give more leeway on the comments and someone would have to monitor and moderate all feedback.... a virtually impossible colossal job if it can be done!

With ebay, it's buyer beware. Just figure you're getting crap and if it's nice stuff, be thrilled! Don't spend a weeks pay on Ebay and you'll be safe!
The overall problem with this is that there are some buyers out there who are actually in the wrong, rate the seller negatively. The seller can then respond. I have had a few sales on eBay (books mainly) where the buyer complained about the quality (ripped pages etc), but the hard fact of it was, I had stated that the books were pretty bad quality and had mentioned the tears to the pages.
Tikitiki Wrote:That's ridiculous. We'll have no way to tell who's bad now. What they need to do is stop the people from retaliating. Duh?

DrPoodle Wrote:I've dealt with a lot of companies who had bad feedback, but responded with good excuses such as "We never received payment". At the end of the day it comes down to trust anyway, which is why I usually prefer to use Amazon.

This can cause alot of problems. The ebay feedback system was featured on Watchdog about buyers who force customers to place positive comments to just get a refund or even there products. With the removal of negative comments there's no way a customer/buyer can tell if the sell is good and this still means that sellers can force buyers to give positive comments
Verrry verry unfortunate, this happening Sad... eBay is a rear end. Go get ur bombs, send em to me and I'll personally drop em off to eBay Smile!!!
I think some people are getting confused. Its only the seller that is being banned from leaving negative & neutral feedback. Buyers will still be able to leave negative & neutral feedback.

I can see it now though i sell an item for £20 the buyer receives the item and is happy with it but tells me unless i give him a 50% refund he will leave me negative feedback. I tell him/her where to go, they leave negative feedback i go to do the same. Oh hang on! eBay has banned sellers from leaving negative feedback. There goes my 100% feedback rating Sad
I suggest you report the user to eBay and get them to remove the message. Extortion (which they are essentially doing) is illegal and eBay would happily ban the user for trying something like that.
spikescot2005 Wrote:I can see it now though i sell an item for £20 the buyer receives the item and is happy with it but tells me unless i give him a 50% refund he will leave me negative feedback. I tell him/her where to go, they leave negative feedback i go to do the same. Oh hang on! eBay has banned sellers from leaving negative feedback. There goes my 100% feedback rating Sad

Wow, that's pretty low Sad...

DrPoodle Wrote:I suggest you report the user to eBay and get them to remove the message. Extortion (which they are essentially doing) is illegal and eBay would happily ban the user for trying something like that.

Yeah, Dr Poodle's right, you should go and report it.
Thats has not happened but i can see it happening when these new rules come into force.
My first experience with Ebay was great. My second wasn't too good. I waited for ages for a small electrical bit that I paid (albeit not very much) for on the day of winning that was supposed to arrive by first class post within the next few days. It never arrived, and after 2 weeks, I tried all the ways I knew to get in touch with the seller: eBay emails, hunting down the username on google and emailing their website directly. The seller even kindly provided a telephone number for contact purposes - but no matter what time I tried (office or early evening hours) it was *ALWAYS* the answerphone. Response? Predictably no.

Anyway, a month later (bearing in mind this was not the holiday season at any point) I decided it was only right that I should leave negative feedback given the complete lack of communication/item. I got a comment back within the next few hours saying that 'the package had been returned undeliverable/no one was able to collect' which was impossible because at the time I was in uni halls (manned by security 24/7)

I was urged to 'please change the rating to neutral' by the seller who promised a refund, which I eventually conceded to in the end.

The point of this rant? (apologies btw!) I had thought the ratings system was already a little biased, but it at least offered both parties the opportunity to compromise. Having read the previous comments on this thread, it seems that the system is open to far more abuse by both sides than I had imagined!

On another note: Can sellers choose which buyers they would prefer 'not' to win an auction? If not, then I don't see the usefulness of 'negative seller views' at all.
Pages: 1 2 3