MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [request] Users have ability to choose forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

So I've decided to change my forum software from phpBB, to myBB. So far, everything looks pretty good, and it reminds me of the YABB and Invision board's. Cool!

I have a mod request. I'm wondering if someone could possibly make a code modification, or something, that will allow users to be able to select what forums they can see on the forum index.

Somehow done using the custom profile fields, allowing users to edit their profile, and select which forums they would like to see on the Forum Index.

If someone could make this for me it would be greatly appriciated, and of course full credit will be given when its due.

Thanks.

Phil

Webmaster
Philonthenet Network
www.philonthe.net
Do you mean like forum skins?
No, members who sign up can choose wether or not they can see the [for example] General Chat board.
No,

here is an example:

I sign up, and on the registration page, there is:
Quote:Would you like to view the General Section?
Would you like to view the Webmasters Section?
Would you like to view the Games Section?

If I answer yes, then on the forum index, I will be able to see the forums that are in those sections, if I answer no, then I wont be able to see the forums in that particular section (like if I answered yes to the webmasters section, but no to the games section, I will be able to see the webmaster forums, but not the games forums).
In MyBB Gold users can be members of multiple groups. You can then show forums based on group memberships. Users can become members of groups they choose, subsequently seeing the forums that come with the groups they've chosen, so it seems that would do as you would like to Smile
OIC, like in their profile, there would be an option where users can pick what boards show up on the main page
RollerC Wrote:OIC, like in their profile, there would be an option where users can pick what boards show up on the main page

Not exactly. You will have to set up public usergroups that users can join. When they have joined that usergroup, they will be able to view the forum.

For example, if you have
Forum A - can only be viewed by Usergroup A
Forum B - can only be viewed by Usergroup B
Forum C - can only be viewed by Usergroup C

In MyBB Gold, you can make Usergroups A, B, and C public so in the user's profile, they can choose which Usergroup to join and therefore letting them see the forums they want.
That's exactly what I want!

I tried to set this up with phpBB, it all worked fine, except that when people joined the usergroup, the forum permissions weren't updated until I manually edit a forum. So hopefully it wont happen with myBB.

Thanks for the info, I eagerly await Gold.

One question about Gold, I am making a Skin in RC4 atm, will I have to start from scratch if I want to use that skin on Gold?